This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Hilary Benn’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Leeds Central
- Entered Parliament on 10 June 1999 — Byelection
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Hilary Benn
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Hilary Benn voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted very strongly for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted moderately for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Has never voted on a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Communities and Local Government, Environment Food and Rural Affairs, Work and Pensions, Health, Education
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Local Government Finance, Council Tax Benefits, Housing: Construction, Written Questions: Government Responses, Planning Permission: Appeals
(based on written questions asked by Hilary Benn and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Written Answers — Communities and Local Government: EU Grants and Loans (15 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government if he will list (a) the total amount of European Regional Development Fund funding by English region committed to projects to date and (b) what percentage of the total allocation this represents.”
- Written Answers — Communities and Local Government: Temporary Employment (15 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government whether all agency staff employed by his Department are paid at or above the relevant level of the living wage.”
- Written Answers — Communities and Local Government: Urban Areas (15 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (1) what estimate he has made of the financial benefit to the Portas Pilot Round 1 and 2 winners as a result of local economic growth following their participation in the Portas Pilot scheme; (2) what proportion of the money allocated to high street partnerships under the Portas Pilots scheme has been spent to date in...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 18 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 119 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 78.35% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 31 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 184 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Hilary Benn’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 986 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£10,446 (501st)||£11,631 (539th)||£11,007 (553rd)||£9,452||£10,023 (566th)||£9,225 (573rd)||£18,218 (415th)||£15,291 (324th)|
|London costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£1,618 (joint 1st with 118 others)||£1,574 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,527 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,130 (joint 83rd with 26 others)|
|Office running costs||£15,877 (397th)||£10,661 (576th)||£19,181 (424th)||£18,960||£19,197 (191st)||£18,411 (418th)||£14,319 (566th)||£19,897 (167th)|
|Staffing costs||£68,755 (616th)||£64,164 (626th)||£61,711 (629th)||£62,278||£64,326 (558th)||£57,915 (612th)||£52,721 (607th)||£38,117 (549th)|
|Communications Allowance||£13,155 (55th)||£2,839 (534th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£11,421 (153rd)1||£10,050 (222nd)2||£10,459 (201st)||£7,675||£7,474 (445th)||£8,760 (372nd)||£9,555 (342nd)||£7,419 (351st)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£0||£0||£218 (joint 361st with 1 other)||£0||£195 (380th)||£194 (362nd)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£83 (309th)||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£4,654 (209th)||£907 (joint 258th with 1 other)||£657 (joint 437th with 1 other)||£459||£540 (481st)||£1,280 (160th)||£861 (joint 398th with 2 others)||£899 (374th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£2,218 (341st)||£1,774 (446th)||£1,397||£2,823 (290th)||£3,883 (174th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,407 (67th)||£1,198 (120th)||£322||£2,053 (21st)||£2,053 (17th)||£2,053 (17th)||£2,053 (17th)|
|Total||£124,391 (574th)||£103,877 (630th)||£105,987 (615th)||£100,543||£108,272 (566th)||£103,101 (576th)||£99,449 (550th)||£85,000 (406th)|