This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on George Galloway’s activity (no more than once per day)
Respect MP for Bradford West
- Also represented Bethnal Green and Bow; Glasgow Kelvin; Glasgow Hillhead
- Changed party from Labour on 23 Oct 2003
- Entered Parliament on 11 June 1987 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by George Galloway
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How George Galloway voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration. votes
- Voted moderately for a transparent Parliament. votes
- Has never voted on increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted for a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Has never voted on allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Has never voted on automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Has never voted on encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Never rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Home Department, Communities and Local Government, Health, Defence
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Engagements, Jericho Monitoring Mission, Entry Clearances: Overseas Students, Israel, Electoral System
(based on written questions asked by George Galloway and answered by departments)
- Written Answers — Home Department: Altaf Hussain (16 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what reports she has received from the Metropolitan Police on recent television broadcasts made from London by Altaf Hussain; and if she will make a statement.”
- Written Answers — Home Department: Altaf Hussain (16 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what assessment she has made of the recent televisual appearances of Altaf Hussain; and whether these appearances will have any consequence for his citizenship.”
- Written Answers — Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs: Altaf Hussain (16 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what recent assessment he has made of the activities of the leader of the Muttahida Quami Movement leader Altaf Hussain; and what his policy is on the activities of that group in the UK.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 8 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 55 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 14.07% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 25 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 451 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on George Galloway’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 239 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£0||£0||£0||£0||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£17,150 (408th)||£18,900 (joint 371st with 1 other)||£5,000 (604th)|
|London costs||£2,916 (joint 1st with 49 others)||£1,978 (49th)||£2,712 (joint 1st with 46 others)||£2,360||£0||£0||£0||£0|
|Office running costs||£21,055 (172nd)||£17,721 (358th)||£13,718 (573rd)||£6,176||£10,660 (595th)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£16,899 (483rd)||£60 (656th)|
|Staffing costs||£101,343 (115th)||£94,005 (79th)||£89,700 (75th)||£97,809||£86,198 (12th)||£59,007 (600th)||£72,310 (joint 1st with 23 others)||£63,644 (8th)|
|Communications Allowance||£4,983 (476th)||£10,000 (joint 130th with 10 others)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£0||£0||£0||£199||£4,903 (539th)||£7,236 (429th)||£9,748 (332nd)||£12,618 (122nd)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£0||£304||£1,856 (87th)||£1,581 (91st)||£699 (213th)||£443 (261st)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£43 (642nd)||£47 (640th)||£259 (617th)||£182||£252 (joint 615th with 1 other)||£259 (611th)||£705 (joint 468th with 2 others)||£1,227 (254th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£485 (joint 619th with 1 other)||£163 (634th)||£0||£1,640 (471st)||£1,738 (457th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,058 (533rd)||£1,058 (joint 320th with 22 others)||£0||£1,823 (432nd)||£1,823 (425th)||£1,781 (444th)||£1,781 (388th)|
|Other Costs||£0||£11,096 (8th)||£0||£0||£16,838 (3rd)||£0||£5,717 (24th)||£0|
|Total||£130,340 (538th)||£136,390 (456th)||£107,610 (611th)||£107,030||£145,072 (46th)||£107,593 (541st)||£126,759 (54th)||£84,773 (joint 414th with 1 other)|