This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on David Hamilton’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Midlothian
- Entered Parliament on 7 June 2001 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by David Hamilton
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How David Hamilton voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted strongly for the hunting ban. votes
- Has never voted on introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately against replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted very strongly for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted very strongly for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted strongly against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Work and Pensions, Treasury, Trade and Industry, Defence, Home Department
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Coal Industry, Defence Activities: Scotland, Terrorism: Detainees, Television: Sports, Iraq
(based on written questions asked by David Hamilton and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- PARTNERSHIPS (PROSECUTION) (SCOTLAND) BILL [LORDS] Committee (1 out of 1)
- Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Bill Committee (8 out of 8)
- Driving Instruction (Suspension and Exemption Powers) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Compensation Bill Committee (3 out of 4)
- Written Answers — Leader of the House: Scotland (20 May 2013)
“To ask the Leader of the House if he will list the legislation his Office has sponsored which has devolved powers to the Scottish Parliament and powers within such legislation since 1998.”
- Written Answers — Culture Media and Sport: Gambling (15 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport what steps her Department has taken to ensure that there is adequate research on the extent of problem gambling to inform policy-making.”
- Written Answers — Culture Media and Sport: Gambling: Internet (15 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport what estimate her Department has made of the size of the black market in online gambling (a) hosted in the UK and (b) used by UK consumers.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 14 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 30 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 78.35% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 15–16 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 59 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on David Hamilton’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 119 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£12,727 (470th)||£17,784 (444th)||£18,948 (424th)||£18,922||£18,371 (384th)||£19,384 (296th)||£19,600 (joint 301st with 2 others)||£18,009 (joint 2nd with 55 others)|
|Office running costs||£16,962 (357th)||£16,114 (424th)||£20,223 (342nd)||£21,549||£18,659 (291st)||£18,313 (428th)||£17,169 (joint 471st with 1 other)||£35,726 (11th)|
|Staffing costs||£80,947 (560th)||£78,550 (552nd)||£75,777 (548th)||£70,549||£68,273 (445th)||£47,184 (644th)||£48,572 (629th)||£34,301 (598th)|
|Communications Allowance||£2,776 (534th)||£4,893 (466th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£15,266 (63rd)1||£14,435 (89th)2||£15,340 (64th)||£14,604||£17,872 (85th)||£18,833 (66th)||£18,601 (70th)||£15,939 (54th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£640 (121st)||£948 (112th)||£1,954 (42nd)||£1,982||£956 (joint 195th with 1 other)||£3,375 (12th)||£2,077 (45th)||£2,554 (20th)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£31 (334th)||£18 (358th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£101 (641st)||£18 (641st)||£0||£1,548||£161 (joint 631st with 1 other)||£118 (639th)||£446 (joint 579th with 1 other)||£59 (647th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£190 (638th)||£0||£3,529||£714 (610th)||£348 (636th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,350 (joint 109th with 4 others)||£1,142 (joint 175th with 17 others)||£324||£1,872 (joint 367th with 1 other)||£1,872 (joint 360th with 1 other)||£1,984 (joint 90th with 4 others)||£1,984 (joint 88th with 4 others)|
|Total||£129,450 (545th)||£134,300 (484th)||£133,384 (410th)||£133,007||£126,878 (257th)||£109,427 (515th)||£108,449 (428th)||£108,572 (24th)|