This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Chi Onwurah’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Newcastle upon Tyne Central
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Chi Onwurah
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Chi Onwurah voted on key issues:
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Business, Innovation and Skills, Culture Media and Sport, Cabinet Office, Treasury, Health
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Travel and Subsistence Payments, Departmental Chief Scientific Advisers, Government Procurement Card, Broadband, Government Departments: Procurement
(based on written questions asked by Chi Onwurah and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Bill Committee (16 out of 17)
- Written Answers — Cabinet Office: Internet (16 May 2013)
“To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office what discussions he has had with interested parties on IP address transparency.”
- Written Answers — Cabinet Office: Government Departments: Cybercrime (15 May 2013)
“To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office what estimate his Department has made of the costs of retrofitting cyber security to existing government systems.”
- Cost of Living (14 May 2013)
“It is a pleasure to follow my hon. Friend the Member for North Ayrshire and Arran (Katy Clark) in this important debate on the Gracious Speech. You will of course keep me in order, Mr Deputy Speaker, if it is not appropriate to call it the Government’s Queen’s Speech, given that so many Government Members seem already to be regretting it. They say that success has many parents,...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 65 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 337 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 77.32% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 108 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Chi Onwurah’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 86 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register