This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Bridget Phillipson’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Houghton and Sunderland South
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Bridget Phillipson
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Bridget Phillipson voted on key issues:
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
- Voted very strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Never rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Defence, Home Department, Education, Work and Pensions, Transport
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Departmental Work Experience, Asylum, Defence: Procurement, Reserve Forces, Housing Benefit
(based on written questions asked by Bridget Phillipson and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Justice and Security Bill Committee (8 out of 8)
- Finance (No. 3) Bill Committee (14 out of 14)
- Identity Documents Bill Committee (5 out of 5)
- Police Reform and Social Responsibility Bill Committee (17 out of 20)
- The High Street — [Philip Davies in the Chair] (21 May 2013)
“I congratulate my hon. Friend on securing this important debate. Local people in Houghton tell me that they are concerned about the growing number of fast-food and takeaway outlets on the high street there. They want a better retail offer; they are concerned about the damage that that is doing. Should local people not be offered a greater say in the planning of high streets? In the current...”
- Written Answers — Treasury: Members: Correspondence (21 May 2013)
“To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer when he plans to reply to the letter to him of 13 March 2013 from the hon. Member for Houghton and Sunderland South and the follow up letter sent by the hon. Member on 25 April 2013.”
- Written Answers — Transport: Members: Correspondence (21 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Transport when he plans to answer the letter from the hon. Member for Houghton and Sunderland South dated 21 January 2013.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 22 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 95 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 54.35% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 82 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Bridget Phillipson’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 24 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register