This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Bill Esterson’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Sefton Central
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Bill Esterson
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Bill Esterson voted on key issues:
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Voted moderately against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Has never voted on equal gay rights. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted for a smoking ban. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Education, Work and Pensions, Communities and Local Government, Transport, Health
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Work Capability Assessment, Serco, General Practitioners, Rescue Services: Liverpool, Radioactive Waste
(based on written questions asked by Bill Esterson and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Marine Navigation (No. 2) Bill Committee (0 out of 1)
- Children and Families Bill Committee (16 out of 19)
- Finance (No. 3) Bill Committee (14 out of 14)
- Wreck Removal Convention Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Oral Answers to Questions — Justice: A and E Departments (21 May 2013)
“One of the concerns raised with me is about the lack of commissioning of community services to help patients to be discharged from hospital, which has a knock-on effect on A and E and queuing ambulances. Is not the reality that, as health professionals tell me, the lack of community services, which is what causes the problem in A and E, is a direct result of this Government’s reorganisation?”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Work and Pensions: Enterprise Allowance (20 May 2013)
“Given the difficulties and challenges in setting up a business, does the Minister agree that it is essential that the advice given ensures that people can succeed, so that they do not end up in a worse situation than if they had not gone down that route in the first place?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 83 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 43 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 69.95% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 74 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Bill Esterson’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 139 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register