This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Bernard Jenkin’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Harwich and North Essex
- Also represented North Essex; Colchester North
- Entered Parliament on 9 April 1992 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Bernard Jenkin
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Bernard Jenkin voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted very strongly against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted very strongly for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted very strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted strongly against more EU integration. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted very strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted strongly against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted moderately against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Quite often rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Defence, Deputy Prime Minister, Trade and Industry, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Health
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Regional Assemblies, Iraq, Afghanistan, Departmental Press: Subscriptions, Judicial Review
(based on written questions asked by Bernard Jenkin and answered by departments)
- Upcoming Business – Commons: Westminster Hall (4 Jun 2013)
“Safety on the A120 east of Colchester – Bernard Jenkin.”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Justice: A and E Departments (21 May 2013)
“Do I need to remind my right hon. Friend that the outgoing Labour Government in 2010 left a note on the desk of the Chief Secretary to the Treasury saying, “There’s no money left”? Is not the challenge the need to make the NHS work on more or less flat funding—though we are doing our best to increase it—while dealing with huge increases in demand? Is not the only...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 43 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 24 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 82.86% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 10 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 99 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Bernard Jenkin’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1063 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£24,006 (joint 1st with 48 others)||£23,083 (joint 1st with 142 others)||£21,036 (346th)||£21,518||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£20,333 (joint 3rd with 149 others)||£19,722 (joint 1st with 230 others)||£15,737 (joint 245th with 1 other)|
|Office running costs||£16,728 (369th)||£21,066 (172nd)||£24,440 (107th)||£23,170||£19,324 (joint 89th with 9 others)||£18,594 (387th)||£18,212 (joint 253rd with 4 others)||£10,991 (488th)|
|Staffing costs||£103,729 (74th)||£88,724 (286th)||£73,774 (572nd)||£79,457||£72,687 (230th)||£71,773 (joint 85th with 44 others)||£68,465 (139th)||£50,489 (168th)|
|Communications Allowance||£8,853 (316th)||£2,222 (joint 548th with 1 other)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£3,629 (518th)1||£3,601 (532nd)2||£3,022 (557th)||£4,860||£8,875 (380th)||£5,851 (488th)||£6,710 (460th)||£4,209 (505th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£167 (joint 299th with 1 other)||£357 (252nd)||£441 (234th)||£0||£0||£110 (joint 417th with 3 others)||£301 (joint 335th with 1 other)||£213 (346th)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£288 (252nd)||£418 (joint 229th with 2 others)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£105 (joint 77th with 1 other)||£80 (90th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£2,094 (511th)||£398 (545th)||£733 (joint 401st with 1 other)||£868||£557 (472nd)||£554 (483rd)||£1,202 (joint 251st with 1 other)||£603 (507th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,160 (joint 541st with 1 other)||£1,721 (458th)||£1,897||£1,360 (519th)||£692 (609th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,156 (joint 406th with 3 others)||£1,010 (joint 407th with 1 other)||£0||£1,974 (joint 118th with 5 others)||£1,974 (joint 111th with 5 others)||£1,974 (joint 110th with 5 others)||£1,974 (joint 105th with 5 others)|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£14,317 (3rd)||£0||£13,710 (7th)||£0||£0||£0|
|Total||£159,599 (200th)||£142,265 (388th)||£140,494 (273rd)||£131,770||£139,389 (68th)||£119,881 (319th)||£116,586 (244th)||£84,216 (426th)|