This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Alun Cairns’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Vale of Glamorgan
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Alun Cairns
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Alun Cairns voted on key issues:
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
- Voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Culture Media and Sport, Treasury, Business, Innovation and Skills, Energy and Climate Change, Work and Pensions
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Broadband, Departmental Consultants, Mobile Phones, S4C: Finance, Business: Government Assistance
(based on written questions asked by Alun Cairns and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Localism Bill Committee (24 out of 24)
- Oral Answers to Questions — Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Topical Questions (18 Jun 2013)
“Last week four men were convicted by the Turkish courts of the reckless killing of Cerys Potter. This is a landmark judgment. Does the Minister accept that it will have an impact only if the Turkish authorities insist on basic health and safety standards in such exercises as white water rafting?”
- Written Answers — Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs: Turkey (18 Jun 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what recent discussions he or officials of his Department have had with the authorities in Turkey on improving safety for white water rafting for British visitors to that country.”
- Opposition Day — [2nd Allotted Day] — Protecting Children Online (12 Jun 2013)
“I want to highlight that I am a strong advocate and fan of filters, but I think it is very dangerous to give the impression that they are the whole answer. The solution is far more complicated than that and we must be clear about it.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 62 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 100 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 77.60% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 4 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 80 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alun Cairns’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 127 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register