This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Alec Shelbrooke’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Elmet and Rothwell
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Alec Shelbrooke
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Alec Shelbrooke voted on key issues:
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Energy and Climate Change, Transport, Communities and Local Government, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Treasury
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): High Speed 2 Railway Line, Gardens: Property Development, Iran, Economic Policy, Occupied Territories
(based on written questions asked by Alec Shelbrooke and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Disabled Persons' Parking Badges Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Finance (No. 2) Bill Committee (5 out of 5)
- Finance (No. 3) Bill Committee (14 out of 14)
- Budget Responsibility and National Audit Bill Committee (3 out of 4)
- Civil Aviation Bill Committee (14 out of 14)
- Coinage (Measurement) Bill Committee (0 out of 1)
- Nato: Iran (17 Jun 2013)
“My right hon. Friend will have gathered that the mood of the House is one of hope and expectation at the election of President-elect Rouhani. I urge my right hon. Friend, through his good offices, to take the next couple of months until Mr Rouhani comes to power to assess all the offers to Iran that have been on the table. The Iranian people have voted for change and hope. It was notable in...”
- Written Answers — Treasury: Urenco (10 Jun 2013)
“To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer what progress the Government has made on selling its share in Urenco.”
- Business of the House (6 Jun 2013)
“Could we have a debate on the practices of companies such as Phyderma and Elisa Jewels, which actively seek to scam British pensioners by enticing them to purchase catalogue items with the promise that they will win prizes such as new cars and luxury holidays? I recently met a distraught constituent whose father has spent more than £5,000 to date on these false promises.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 32 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 17 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 82.25% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 97 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alec Shelbrooke’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 90 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register