This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Alasdair McDonnell’s activity (no more than once per day)
Social Democratic and Labour Party MP for Belfast South, Social Democratic and Labour Party MLA for Belfast South
- Entered Parliament on 5 May 2005 — General election
- Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Alasdair McDonnell
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Alasdair McDonnell voted on key issues:
- Has never voted on laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted for a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Has never voted on removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Has never voted on a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately for more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted against replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Has never voted on automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Has never voted on encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Has never voted on a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Has never voted on a stricter asylum system. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Occasionally rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Northern Ireland, Treasury, Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, Health, Home Department
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Rates Collection Agency, Invest Northern Ireland, Hip Replacements, Housing, Illegal Dumping Unit
(based on written questions asked by Alasdair McDonnell and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Health and Safety (Offences) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Northern Ireland (Offences) Bill Committee (5 out of 6)
- National Insurance Contributions Bill Committee (2 out of 4)
- Terrorism (Northern Ireland) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Northern Ireland (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Written Answers — Environment Food and Rural Affairs: Bovine Tuberculosis: Northern Ireland (10 Jun 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what recent discussions he has held with the Northern Ireland Executive on bovine tuberculosis.”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Northern Ireland: Fuel Fraud (5 Jun 2013)
“May I follow on from earlier questions and ask whether the Secretary of State is fully aware of the seriously high level of fuel fraud? There are some estimates that up to one third of diesel is laundered diesel. Is he aware that at least £70 million of illicit profit is being made from fuel laundering across Ireland? The estimate is that that is split half and half between north and...”
- Northern Ireland Assembly: Private Members' Business: Civil Service (Special Advisers) Bill: Final Stage (3 Jun 2013)
“I am glad to be able to speak for a few moments. I will be as brief as I can because I want other colleagues to have the opportunity to speak as well. At the outset, I congratulate those who have been constructive and positive in a difficult discussion. I have been deeply touched by all the advice, guidance and concern for the SDLP and all its issues and concerns. ...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 10 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 15 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 27.78% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 105 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alasdair McDonnell’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 35 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05||2003/04||2002/03||2001/02|
|Staying away from main home||£19,651 (305th)||£23,083 (joint 1st with 142 others)||£22,110 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£21,634|
|Office running costs||£13,009 (501st)||£16,967 (400th)||£18,771 (441st)||£19,942|
|Staffing costs||£109,388 (20th)||£94,769 (56th)||£88,944 (93rd)||£83,882|
|Communications Allowance||£9,054 (305th)||£9,801 (185th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£10,416 (185th)1||£9,310 (247th)2||£10,971 (168th)||£11,299|
|Members' Staff Travel||£305 (joint 237th with 1 other)||£305 (278th)||£2,114 (37th)||£2,139|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£34 (330th)||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£320 (50th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£1,997 (520th)||£209 (622nd)||£552 (joint 508th with 1 other)||£440|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£864 (joint 580th with 1 other)||£1,177 (557th)||£1,125||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,202 (joint 323rd with 1 other)||£1,089 (joint 269th with 4 others)||£1,089|
|Total||£163,854 (143rd)||£156,830 (150th)||£145,728 (161st)||£142,304|