This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Alasdair McDonnell’s activity (no more than once per day)
Social Democratic and Labour Party MP for Belfast South, Social Democratic and Labour Party MLA for Belfast South
- Entered Parliament on 5 May 2005 — General election
- Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Alasdair McDonnell
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Alasdair McDonnell voted on key issues:
- Has never voted on removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Has never voted on a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Has never voted on a stricter asylum system. votes
- Has never voted on laws to stop climate change. votes
- Has never voted on automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Has never voted on encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted for a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted against replacing Trident. votes
- Has never voted on a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately for more EU integration. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Occasionally rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Northern Ireland, Treasury, Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, Health, Home Department
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Rates Collection Agency, Invest Northern Ireland, Hip Replacements, Housing, Illegal Dumping Unit
(based on written questions asked by Alasdair McDonnell and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Health and Safety (Offences) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- National Insurance Contributions Bill Committee (2 out of 4)
- Terrorism (Northern Ireland) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Northern Ireland (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Northern Ireland (Offences) Bill Committee (5 out of 6)
- Northern Ireland (23 Apr 2013)
“I am pleased and privileged to rise to support the motion, and I do so in the strongest possible terms. I want to thank the Labour party and the shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, my hon. Friend the Member for Gedling (Vernon Coaker), for bringing the motion to the House and, with it, the opportunity not only for myself, but for others, to make comment. I am always pleased to...”
- Northern Ireland (23 Apr 2013)
“The hon. Gentleman must have been reading my notes over my shoulder—the rules of the House should be amended to prevent Members from copying others—because my next line is that we should also note that we owe a deep debt of gratitude to the United States and the various Administrations in Washington throughout that period. Yes, much of the violence has been taken out of the...”
- Northern Ireland (23 Apr 2013)
“I agree fully with the hon. Gentleman’s comments, but unfortunately we do not have or have not had until now Government Ministers queuing up to estimate the foreign investment opportunities lost as a result of the disorder in the past few months, but let us in the House not deceive ourselves. There is an economic cost to disruption, violence and disturbance in the streets, and I...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 9 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 15 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 27.58% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 105 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alasdair McDonnell’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 35 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05||2003/04||2002/03||2001/02|
|Staying away from main home||£19,651 (305th)||£23,083 (joint 1st with 142 others)||£22,110 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£21,634|
|Office running costs||£13,009 (501st)||£16,967 (400th)||£18,771 (441st)||£19,942|
|Staffing costs||£109,388 (20th)||£94,769 (56th)||£88,944 (93rd)||£83,882|
|Communications Allowance||£9,054 (305th)||£9,801 (185th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£10,416 (185th)1||£9,310 (247th)2||£10,971 (168th)||£11,299|
|Members' Staff Travel||£305 (joint 237th with 1 other)||£305 (278th)||£2,114 (37th)||£2,139|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£34 (330th)||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£320 (50th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£1,997 (520th)||£209 (622nd)||£552 (joint 508th with 1 other)||£440|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£864 (joint 580th with 1 other)||£1,177 (557th)||£1,125||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,202 (joint 323rd with 1 other)||£1,089 (joint 269th with 4 others)||£1,089|
|Total||£163,854 (143rd)||£156,830 (150th)||£145,728 (161st)||£142,304|