This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Alan Meale’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Mansfield
- Entered Parliament on 11 June 1987 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Alan Meale
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Alan Meale voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted very strongly for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately for introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted very strongly for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately for more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately against replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Occasionally rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Health, Treasury, Environment Food and Rural Affairs, Trade and Industry, Home Department
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): NHS: Public Participation, Health Services (Nottinghamshire), Mansfield Benefit Centre, Agricultural Workers, Wood: Imports
(based on written questions asked by Alan Meale and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Equine Welfare (Ragwort Control) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- National Minimum Wage (Enforcement Notices) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Managed Motorway Scheme (South Yorkshire) (6 Mar 2013)
“Before you proceed, Minister, it is not practice or acceptable for officials to pass notes to you. You have a Parliamentary Private Secretary and they should be present; that is their role. That is just a reminder for the future.”
- Managed Motorway Scheme (South Yorkshire) (6 Mar 2013)
“For the record, Mr Betts, I realise that you have the permission of the hon. Member who secured the debate, but do you have the permission of the Minister to make a speech, however brief?”
- Youth Participation: First World War Commemorations (6 Mar 2013)
“Thank you, Minister. I congratulate the hon. Member for Blackpool North and Cleveleys (Paul Maynard) on his contribution, particularly his reference to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. We are all very grateful in that respect.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 10 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 4 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 52.84% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 88 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alan Meale’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 222 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£23,959 (70th)||£23,083 (joint 1st with 142 others)||£22,110 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£21,594||£20,899 (joint 201st with 3 others)||£20,265 (212th)||£19,720 (joint 241st with 7 others)||£16,725 (103rd)|
|Office running costs||£17,814 (322nd)||£20,149 (235th)||£19,007 (431st)||£19,067||£19,324 (joint 89th with 9 others)||£18,794 (joint 223rd with 4 others)||£18,233 (joint 185th with 7 others)||£28,625 (38th)|
|Staffing costs||£104,308 (63rd)||£90,505 (joint 183rd with 5 others)||£87,306 (joint 153rd with 1 other)||£84,165||£55,790 (632nd)||£62,751 (547th)||£61,980 (joint 397th with 36 others)||£37,194 (561st)|
|Communications Allowance||£10,663 (148th)||£6,599 (390th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£20,935 (13th)1||£21,403 (15th)2||£17,041 (34th)||£16,841||£23,118 (30th)||£22,260 (35th)||£21,455 (38th)||£21,750 (9th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£1,325 (54th)||£1,325 (62nd)||£1,325 (84th)||£1,325||£1,911 (82nd)||£1,239 (124th)||£1,351 (112th)||£1,482 (73rd)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£449 (210th)||£562 (206th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£3,481 (321st)||£493 (joint 496th with 1 other)||£506 (529th)||£763||£886 (329th)||£706 (404th)||£1,182 (259th)||£425 (579th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,889 (390th)||£2,308 (368th)||£3,278||£4,430 (168th)||£4,170 (153rd)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,264 (joint 236th with 1 other)||£735 (620th)||£0||£1,937 (joint 228th with 2 others)||£1,937 (joint 224th with 2 others)||£1,937 (joint 221st with 2 others)||£1,937 (joint 211th with 1 other)|
|Total||£182,933 (9th)||£167,272 (28th)||£150,338 (85th)||£147,033||£128,295 (224th)||£132,122 (89th)||£125,858 (59th)||£108,138 (26th)|