This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Alan Beith’s activity (no more than once per day)
Liberal Democrat MP for Berwick-upon-Tweed
- Entered Parliament on 8 November 1973 — unknown
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Alan Beith
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Alan Beith voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted very strongly against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted very strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted very strongly for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately for a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted very strongly against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately against replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately for more EU integration. votes
- Voted moderately for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Sometimes rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Environment Food and Rural Affairs, Health, Trade and Industry, Defence, Treasury
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Unpaid Advisers, Correspondence, Parliamentary Advisers, Project Sponsorship, Departmental Report
(based on written questions asked by Alan Beith and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill: New Clause 15 — Marriages according to usages of approved organisations (21 May 2013)
“Would my hon. Friend’s proposals mean that Methodists, Catholics and others who fought for many years for the right to conduct a marriage ceremony that was valid in law would lose that right and have to go along to the town hall to get validation for the marriage that they had conducted?”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Justice: Legal Aid (21 May 2013)
“How can Ministers be confident that under their proposals there will be a genuine market and not just a few very large businesses that would have no great incentive to maintain quality once they got a fixed proportion of the business?”
- Written Answers — House of Commons Commission: Order Paper (21 May 2013)
“To ask the hon. Member for Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross, representing the House of Commons Commission, whether any financial savings or additional costs are expected to arise from the redesign of the Commons Order Paper; and if the Commission will make arrangements for the views of hon. Members on the new Order Paper to be ascertained.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 54 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 15 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 81.84% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 8 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 94 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alan Beith’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 2089 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£13,459 (457th)||£17,686 (446th)||£22,110 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£15,674||£12,595 (536th)||£12,637 (526th)||£19,719 (249th)||£17,329 (79th)|
|Office running costs||£11,978 (533rd)||£13,491 (503rd)||£18,730 (443rd)||£26,706||£18,631 (295th)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£16,907 (482nd)||£20,525 (151st)|
|Staffing costs||£95,277 (327th)||£85,593 (394th)||£81,048 (421st)||£64,330||£65,969 (526th)||£63,436 (533rd)||£65,745 (177th)||£44,222 (396th)|
|Communications Allowance||£15,490 (24th)||£12,638 (46th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£10,244 (192nd)1||£11,353 (166th)2||£9,417 (248th)||£10,804||£14,536 (156th)||£13,372 (200th)||£14,438 (161st)||£11,429 (154th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£1,735 (30th)||£2,349 (15th)||£1,298 (87th)||£2,851||£799 (joint 217th with 1 other)||£1,553 (95th)||£1,700 (72nd)||£1,706 (joint 56th with 1 other)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£228 (273rd)||£742 (156th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£5,246 (165th)||£645 (398th)||£818 (358th)||£571||£523 (joint 491st with 1 other)||£545 (488th)||£964 (354th)||£729 (440th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£3,040 (232nd)||£1,386 (523rd)||£2,288||£2,667 (309th)||£1,807 (449th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,307 (joint 175th with 1 other)||£1,365 (26th)||£0||£1,717 (507th)||£1,717 (498th)||£1,475 (552nd)||£1,475 (479th)|
|Other Costs||£0||£3,719 (39th)||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0|
|Total||£153,657 (282nd)||£152,563 (228th)||£136,172 (357th)||£123,224||£117,437 (455th)||£113,866 (446th)||£120,948 (145th)||£97,415 (126th)|