This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Heidi Alexander’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Lewisham East
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (since 19 Mar 2013) (note about dates)
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Heidi Alexander
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Heidi Alexander voted on key issues:
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted for a smoking ban. votes
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Never rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Select Committee membership
- Member, Selection Committee (since 9 May 2013)
- Member, Regulatory Reform (since 26 Jul 2010)
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Health, Communities and Local Government, Work and Pensions, International Development, Home Department
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Afghanistan, South London Healthcare NHS Trust, Proceeds of Crime, Housing Benefit, Mayors: Referendums
(based on written questions asked by Heidi Alexander and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Justice and Security Bill Committee (8 out of 8)
- Trusts (Capital and Income) Bill [LORDS] Committee (1 out of 1)
- National Insurance Contributions Bill Committee (4 out of 4)
- Localism Bill Committee (21 out of 24)
- Business of the House: Autumn Statement (5 Dec 2013)
“We have heard a great deal from Government Members about the economy today, but some might say that it is a huge amount of bluster and bravado that will not square with the reality of life for millions of people up and down the country. Will the Chancellor simply confirm that the economy is now 2.5% smaller than it was before the crisis?”
- Bill Presented: Title (29 Nov 2013)
“My right hon. Friend will know that the CBI estimates that up to 5% of the UK’s total economic output could be lost if Britain withdraws from the EU. Will he share his thoughts on why he believes the Conservative party and the Government are so willing to put those jobs and that investment at risk?”
- Energy and Climate Change: Tobacco Packaging (28 Nov 2013)
“The Minister said that she had not held a review, but had carried out a consultation. Is that not just a pathetic excuse for inaction, and does she not accept that for every day she delays this policy, another 570 children start smoking?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 55 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 28 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 79.35% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 117 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Heidi Alexander’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 126 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register