We have made good progress and cleaned up more than 10,000 miles of our rivers. Pollution from sewage has gone down significantly. During this Parliament, phosphate pollution will fall by a fifth and ammonia by a sixth. This shows that a healthy environment goes hand in hand with a healthy economy.
My right hon. Friend mentions two fine rivers, and I have been on the River Cherwell, a very fine river. He is absolutely right. We have cleaned more than 10,000 miles of river and we will shortly put in place our new countryside stewardship scheme, which will enable farmers to get grants to improve water quality even further.
My hon. Friend is absolutely right about the River Thames. It is vital not only for London but for our whole country, and it is unacceptable that at present raw sewage is regularly pumped into the Thames. That is why we are taking action, through projects such as the Thames tideway tunnel, to reduce that vastly.
More of Elizabeth Truss's recent appearances
Conservative MP for South West Norfolk
Entered House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
- Innovation and Skills
- Work and Pensions
- GCE A-level
- Higher Education: Admissions
- Maternity Pay
- Railways: East of England
- GCSE: Science
Currently held offices
- The Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Other offices held in the past
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education (6 Sep 2012 to 15 Jul 2014)
- Member, Justice Committee (29 Nov 2010 to 5 Nov 2012)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 15 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Has voted in 76.32% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 4 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 142 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Elizabeth Truss’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 193 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 6 Jan 2015.
5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK
Name of donor: Norwich City Football club
Address of donor: Carrow Road, Norwich NR1 1JE
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: box at football match and lunch for me and my husband; value £2,000
Date of receipt of donation: 24 September 2013
Date of acceptance of donation: 26 December 2013
Donor status: company, registration 00154044
(Registered 6 January 2014)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from