Ian Mearns’s voting in Parliament
Ian Mearns is a Labour MP, and so on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Ian Mearns’s votes.
Has never voted on replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system
Consistently voted against university tuition fees Show votes
Consistently voted against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
Almost always voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
Consistently voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Ian Mearns’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Ian Mearns’s full vote analysis page for more.
Ian Mearns never rebelled against their party in this parliament
Those in ISIL have proved themselves to be brutal and merciless killers, but they have recruits from many, many different places. If we can defeat ISIL/Daesh militarily, given that the nature of the threat and the mindset of its members, does that mean eradicating every single man and woman with a connection? If not, where and how do we intend to contain and detain those who are left until...
I am grateful to the Leader of the House for the business statement. There will be a Backbench Business Committee debate on the Airports Commission next Thursday. I also thank him for giving notice of the business on 30 November, which has been allocated to the Backbench Business Committee. He can be assured that the Committee has an ample supply of applications and business to fill the...
More of Ian Mearns’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Gateshead
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
- Communities and Local Government
- Work and Pensions
- Departmental Public Expenditure
- Ministerial Policy Advisers
- Schools: Vocational Guidance
- Free Schools
Currently held offices
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (since 10 Sep 2015)
- Member, Education Committee (since 6 Jul 2015)
- Chair, Backbench Business Committee (since 18 Jun 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Backbench Business Committee (30 Jun 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Bill (Commons) Committee (29 Apr 2014 to 7 Jul 2015)
- Member, Backbench Business Committee (10 Jun 2013 to 14 May 2014)
- Member, Backbench Business Committee (12 Jun 2012 to 25 Apr 2013)
- Member, Backbench Business Committee (8 Nov 2010 to 1 May 2012)
- Member, Education Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 20 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 4 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 78.03% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 124 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Ian Mearns’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 103 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 9 Nov 2015.
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: RMT
, North East
Address of donor: Thomas Steels House, 49a Thorne Road, Doncaster DN1 2EX
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £2,500
Donor status: trade union
(Registered 21 May 2015
Name of donor: CWU
, North East Region
Address of donor: 6 Concept Court, Kettlestring Lane, Clifton Moor, York YO30 4XF
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £3,000
Donor status: trade union
(Registered 21 May 2015)
6. Land and property: (i) value over £100,000 (ii) rental income of over £10,000 a year
House in Gateshead, owned jointly with my partner: (i) (Registered 19 April 2013
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from