How Ian Mearns voted
Randomly generated selection of topics. See full list.
Voted very strongly against encouraging occupational pensions Source
Voted strongly against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Source
Voted very strongly for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Source
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Source
Has never voted on replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Source
Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT Source
Get email notifications when Ian Mearns speaks in parliament.
See our much more detailed, easier-to-read analysis of votes on health, welfare, foreign policy, social issues, taxation and more.
Ian Mearns hardly ever rebelled against their party in this parliament
Zero Hours Contracts Bill - Second reading – Ian Mearns.
My dad served in what was then Palestine in the late 1930s, before the outbreak of the second world war. In contrast to the other 134 countries that have recognised Palestine, our recognition would be quite different because we were the protectorate. We were the power that held the mandate of protection over the area of Palestine that subsequently became Israel and Palestine.
To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office what steps he is taking to maintain the level of youth services provision.
More of Ian Mearns's recent appearances
Labour MP for Gateshead
Entered House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
- Communities and Local Government
- Work and Pensions
- Departmental Public Expenditure
- Ministerial Policy Advisers
- Schools: Vocational Guidance
- Free Schools
Currently held offices
- Member, Backbench Business Committee
- Member, High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Bill (Commons)
- Member, Education Committee
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Backbench Business Committee (10 Jun 2013 to 14 May 2014)
- Member, Backbench Business Committee (12 Jun 2012 to 25 Apr 2013)
- Member, Backbench Business Committee (8 Nov 2010 to 1 May 2012)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 35 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 20 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 74.68% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 110 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Ian Mearns’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 97 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 13 Oct 2014.
(a) Address of donor: Unite House, 128 Theobalds Road, London WC1X 8TN
(a) Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £3,000
(a) (Registered 16 April 2014)
8. Land and Property
House in Gateshead, owned jointly with my partner. (Registered 19 April 2013)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from