This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Mel Stride’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Central Devon
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Mel Stride
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Mel Stride voted on key issues:
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Environment Food and Rural Affairs, Health, Treasury, Northern Ireland, Communities and Local Government
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Road Fuel Testing Unit, Excise Duties: Wines, Parish Councils: Bank Services, Tourism, Motorcycles: Driving Tests
(based on written questions asked by Mel Stride and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Energy Bill Committee (16 out of 16)
- National Insurance Contributions Bill Committee (4 out of 4)
- Sports Grounds Safety Authority Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Opposition Day — 13th Allotted Day — Cost of Living (27 Nov 2013)
“The hon. Lady has just stated that every aspect of the cost of living is on the rise under this Government. Does she recognise that council tax, a very important component of the cost of living, has decreased by 9.5% on average during the period of this Government, yet it doubled under the Labour party when it was in office?”
- Written Answers — Education: Free School Meals (26 Nov 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Education how the costs of (a) additional staff, (b) kitchen adaptations and (c) other expenses required for the provision of universal free school meals for infants will be funded.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 30 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 8 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 89.98% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 3 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 106 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Mel Stride’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 74 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register