This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Margot James’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Stourbridge
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Margot James
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Margot James voted on key issues:
- Voted for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Occasionally rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Health, Work and Pensions, Home Department, Business, Innovation and Skills, Justice
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Obesity, NHS: Drugs, Industrial Health and Safety, Higher Education: Admissions, NHS: Redundancy Pay
(based on written questions asked by Margot James and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Energy Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Health and Social Care Bill Committee (39 out of 40)
- Energy Bill Committee (8 out of 8)
- Upcoming Business – Commons: Westminster Hall (11 Dec 2013)
“Children's centres in Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council area – Margot James.”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Health: Accident and Emergency Health Specialists (26 Nov 2013)
“My local hospital, Russells Hall, is experiencing considerable difficulty in recruiting A and E consultants. Would not a good alternative approach be to train more paramedics to serve on ambulances and provide more effective and robust triage at emergency centres, so that patients can be redirected when necessary?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 50 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 16 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 78.38% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 75 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Margot James’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 119 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register