This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Ian Murray’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Edinburgh South
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Ian Murray
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Ian Murray voted on key issues:
- Voted very strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Business, Innovation and Skills, Justice, Treasury, Scotland, Culture Media and Sport
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Employment Tribunals Service, Royal Mail, Land Registry, Post Offices, Newspaper Licensing Agency
(based on written questions asked by Ian Murray and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Bill Committee (17 out of 17)
- Growth and Infrastructure Bill Committee (13 out of 14)
- Groceries Code Adjudicator Bill Committee (5 out of 5)
- Wreck Removal Convention Bill Committee (0 out of 1)
- Finance (No. 3) Bill Committee (13 out of 14)
- Daylight Saving Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Business of the House (5 Dec 2013)
“I do not know whether the Leader of the House is a reader of fiction, but if he is I recommend that over the Christmas period, he read the Scottish Government’s White Paper on independence. Once he has read that paper, I urge him to come back and offer some time for a debate on it in this House.”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Business, Innovation and Skills: Workplace Insecurity (5 Dec 2013)
“One of the main contributors to the rise in the number of people feeling insecure at work is their inability to seek justice through the employment tribunals system. Data announced last week by solicitors Pinsent Masons showed that in some regions the number of employment tribunal claims had fallen by almost 80% since the introduction of fees, despite the Government’s impact assessment...”
- Decarbonisation (3 Dec 2013)
“I beg to move, That leave be given to bring in a Bill to provide for the setting of a decarbonisation target for the UK; and for connected purposes. It is incumbent on this House and every Member to ensure that future generations do better than the generation before. That is no truer than in the area of climate change and the significant impact it will have on communities in the UK and all...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 65 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 73 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 78.38% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 65 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Ian Murray’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 144 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register