This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Michael Ellis’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Northampton North
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Michael Ellis
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Michael Ellis voted on key issues:
- Voted for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
- Voted for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted very strongly for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted for replacing Trident. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Select Committee membership
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (since 14 Feb 2011)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Select Committee) (since 12 Jul 2010)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (since 12 Jul 2010)
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Home Department, Justice, Health, Defence
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Iran, Iran: Sanctions, Middle East: Armed Conflict, Forests, Waste Management
(based on written questions asked by Michael Ellis and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Police Reform and Social Responsibility Bill Committee (19 out of 20)
- Protection of Freedoms Bill Committee (20 out of 20)
- Tributes to Nelson Mandela (9 Dec 2013)
“It is a privilege and honour to follow the right hon. Member for Leeds Central (Hilary Benn). It is not easy to find the best words to describe Nelson Mandela, but his nobility, dignified nature and courage, and the inspiration he brought to countless others, have already been spoken of far more eloquently than I can speak of them. His absence of bitterness and resentment is perhaps the most...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 45 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 22 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 93.30% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 79 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Michael Ellis’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 70 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register