Culture, Media and Sport: DCMS Annual Report for 2013-14.
Witnesses: Rt. Hon. Sajid Javid MP, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport and Sue Owen, Permanent Secretary, Department of Culture, Media and Sport
The Office for National Statistics estimates that the direct contribution of the tourism sector to the economy in 2013 was £56 billion. Taking account of indirect benefits, Deloitte estimates that in the same year the sector was worth £127 billion gross value added to the UK economy, supporting 3.1 million jobs.
My hon. Friend raises an important point. He will be aware that Gatwick is already a major local economic driver, generating some 23,000 jobs at the airport alone, and he is right to ask what more it could do to attract visitors to Crawley and Sussex. He will be aware of Visit Sussex, and I encourage the town to work more closely with that and with Tourism South East, to see what more it can...
More of Sajid Javid's recent appearances
Conservative MP for Bromsgrove
Entered House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
- Innovation and Skills
- Cabinet Office
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Industrial Disputes
- Trade Unions: Finance
- Indonesia: Religious Freedom
- Pupils: Disadvantaged
- Railways: Finance
Currently held offices
- The Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport
Other offices held in the past
- Minister for Equality (9 Apr 2014 to 15 Jul 2014)
- The Financial Secretary to the Treasury (7 Oct 2013 to 9 Apr 2014)
- The Economic Secretary to the Treasury (6 Sep 2012 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (4 Sep 2012 to 25 Nov 2013)
- Member, Work and Pensions Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 29 Nov 2010)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 9 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Has voted in 74.18% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 3 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 129 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Sajid Javid’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 239 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 6 Jan 2015.
6. Overseas visits
Address of donor: 1150 Seventeenth Street NW
, Washington, DC
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): flights, accommodation, etc, total £3,707.42
Destination of visit: Sea Island, Georgia, USA
Date of visit: 6-7 March 2014
Purpose of visit: to attend and speak at conference to discuss contemporary political and economic issues with policy-makers from other countries
(Registered 2 April 2014)
8. Land and Property
House in Bristol.
House in London from which rental income is received. (Registered 25 February 2013)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from