This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Toby Perkins’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Chesterfield
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Toby Perkins
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Toby Perkins voted on key issues:
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Occasionally rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Business, Innovation and Skills, Education, Work and Pensions, Health, Treasury
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Public Houses, Business: Government Assistance, Members: Correspondence, Directors: Disqualification, Departmental Procurement
(based on written questions asked by Toby Perkins and answered by departments)
- Business of the House: Autumn Statement (5 Dec 2013)
“The self-congratulatory tone of the Chancellor and Government Members would be slightly less nauseating if it was not for the fact that people in Chesterfield are £1,600 a year worse off despite the fact that they are in work. As he reads out the fall in unemployment numbers, he will know that a huge number of those in jobs are under-employed. It used to be that going from unemployment...”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Business, Innovation and Skills: Small Businesses (5 Dec 2013)
“Without wishing to show off, I am going to 20 small businesses on Saturday across Chesterfield and Staveley—my wife is bringing her purse. The urgency of small business Saturday seems all the more serious after a recent report by the Association of Convenience Stores which shows that 55% of its owner members earn less than the minimum wage on an hourly basis. Is the Secretary of State...”
- Business Rates (4 Dec 2013)
“Was my hon. Friend as appalled as I was to hear Government Members say, “Well, you know, £410 a year is only a pound or so a day to customers. It’s small beer”? If that is what Government Members think about business rates, does it not show how out of touch they are?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 46 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 72 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 70.38% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 3 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 85 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Toby Perkins’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 165 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register