This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Catherine McKinnell’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Newcastle upon Tyne North
- Shadow Minister (Treasury) (since 18 Mar 2013) (note about dates)
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Catherine McKinnell
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Catherine McKinnell voted on key issues:
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Treasury, Attorney-General, Health, Business, Innovation and Skills, Communities and Local Government
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Revenue and Customs, Tax Avoidance, Departmental Procurement, Employment Agencies, Apprentices
(based on written questions asked by Catherine McKinnell and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- FINANCE BILL Committee (13 out of 16)
- FINANCE (NO. 2) BILL Committee (4 out of 4)
- Finance Bill Committee (3 out of 4)
- Identity Documents Bill Committee (5 out of 5)
- Finance (No. 4) Bill Committee (10 out of 14)
- Upcoming Business – Commons: Westminster Hall (11 Dec 2013)
“Tackling corruption in international business – Catherine McKinnell.”
- Written Answers — Energy and Climate Change: Fuel Poverty (5 Dec 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change what the fuel poverty gap was in each of the last five years; and what recent assessment he has made of a potential fuel poverty gap in each of the next five years.”
- Written Answers — Treasury: Child Benefit (3 Dec 2013)
“To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer how many families in (a) the UK and (b) each region have been fined for failing to comply with the high-income child benefit tax charge since it was introduced.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 60 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 116 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 72.86% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 105 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Catherine McKinnell’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 180 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register