This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Chi Onwurah’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Newcastle upon Tyne Central
- Shadow Minister (Cabinet Office) (since 11 Jan 2013) (note about dates)
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Chi Onwurah
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Chi Onwurah voted on key issues:
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Business, Innovation and Skills, Culture Media and Sport, Cabinet Office, Health, Treasury
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Travel and Subsistence Payments, Departmental Chief Scientific Advisers, Broadband, Government Procurement Card, Cybercrime
(based on written questions asked by Chi Onwurah and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Bill Committee (16 out of 17)
- Engineering Skills (Perkins Review) — [Mr Dai Havard in the Chair] (10 Dec 2013)
“I thank the hon. Gentleman for giving way. I apologise for being late and because I cannot stay for this important debate due to other engagements. I congratulate him on bringing forward this critical debate. Does he agree that that Top Gear illustration shows not only how engineering is often portrayed in the media, but also the challenge for young girls seeking to go into...”
- Tributes to Nelson Mandela (9 Dec 2013)
“It is a real honour to follow so many passionate and eloquent speeches. This morning I went to South Africa house to sign the book of condolence. It is still a really strange experience for me to enter South Africa house, having spent so much time on the pavement outside. Indeed, at one time I was convinced that the pavement there was particularly hard and cold, especially around midnight. I...”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Business, Innovation and Skills: Small Businesses (5 Dec 2013)
“What steps he is taking to support small businesses in Newcastle upon Tyne Central constituency.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 61 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 331 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 76.86% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 116 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Chi Onwurah’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 105 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register