This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Henry Smith’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Crawley
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Henry Smith
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Henry Smith voted on key issues:
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Occasionally rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Home Department, Health, Treasury, Transport, Business, Innovation and Skills
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Animal Experiments, Animal Experiments: Primates, Air Passenger Duty, Teaching Methods, Aviation: Working Hours
(based on written questions asked by Henry Smith and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Immigration Bill Committee (10 out of 10)
- Disabled Persons' Parking Badges Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Growth and Infrastructure Bill Committee (14 out of 14)
- Localism Bill Committee (24 out of 24)
- Local Government Ombudsman (Amendment) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Civil Aviation Bill Committee (11 out of 14)
- Oral Answers to Questions — Prime Minister: National Infrastructure Plan (4 Dec 2013)
“In the week that Gatwick is celebrating its fourth year as a successful independently operated airport, I very much welcome the £50 million investment in upgrading the important connectivity of the rail station, which will help the local economy and help Gatwick as a preferred UK gateway. Does the churlish chuntering of the Opposition just prove that they have nothing to offer the...”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Prime Minister: Engagements (4 Dec 2013)
“This weekend is small business Saturday and I will be supporting local firms in my constituency. Companies welcome the reduction in corporation tax and national insurance contributions that this Government introduced, but what more can be done to reduce business rates?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 79 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 62 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 87.57% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 15 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 97 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Henry Smith’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 81 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register