This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Owen Smith’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Pontypridd
- Shadow Secretary of State for Wales (since 14 May 2012) (note about dates)
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Owen Smith
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Owen Smith voted on key issues:
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Never rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Wales, Treasury, Health, Business, Innovation and Skills, Work and Pensions
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Departmental Procurement, Child Care, Departmental Meetings, Nurseries, Devolution
(based on written questions asked by Owen Smith and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Finance (No. 4) Bill Committee (4 out of 14)
- Health and Social Care Bill Committee (38 out of 40)
- Coinage (Measurement) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Oral Answers to Questions — Wales: Taxation (Economy) (20 Nov 2013)
“On Monday, we heard in this House the Secretary of State commit his party to cutting a penny off income tax for taxpayers in Wales, including millionaires. I am sure he did not pluck that figure out of thin air; I am sure he consulted with the Treasury. Will he therefore tell us what the precise cost to the Welsh budget will be of his proposed tax cut?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 9 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 55 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 71.03% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 45 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Owen Smith’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 118 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register