Does Owen Smith respond to constituents’ emails?
According to our 2015 survey, Owen Smith responded to a
low proportion of messages
sent by constituents on WriteToThem.com.
See the results in context
Owen Smith’s voting in Parliament
Owen Smith is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
This is a selection of Owen Smith’s votes.
Almost always voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
Consistently voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
Consistently voted against university tuition fees Show votes
Consistently voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
Generally voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
Almost always voted against a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Owen Smith’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Owen Smith’s full vote analysis page for more.
Owen Smith has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what progress his Department has made on halving the disability employment gap.
To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, what progress the Government has made on steps to introduce a pensions dashboard by 2019.
More of Owen Smith’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Pontypridd
Entered the House of Commons on 6 May 2010 — General election
Topics of interest
- Department for Work and Pensions
- HM Treasury
- Universal Credit
- Departmental Procurement
- Child Care
- Children: Maintenance
- Welfare Tax Credits
Currently held offices
- Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (since 14 Sep 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Secretary of State for Wales (14 May 2012 to 14 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Minister (Wales) (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Member, Welsh Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 28 Nov 2011)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 23 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Owen Smith’s speeches
- Has received answers to 147 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 62.76% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 66 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Owen Smith’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 244 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 6 Jun 2016.
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: Unite the union
Address of donor: 128 Theobalds Road, London WC1X 8TN
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: campaign items; print material to a value of £5,000
Donor status: trade union
(Registered 05 June 2015
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from