This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Alun Cairns’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Vale of Glamorgan
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Alun Cairns
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Alun Cairns voted on key issues:
- Voted for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
- Voted very strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted very strongly for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted for replacing Trident. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Culture Media and Sport, Treasury, Business, Innovation and Skills, Energy and Climate Change, Work and Pensions
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Broadband, Departmental Consultants, Mobile Phones, S4C: Finance, Business: Government Assistance
(based on written questions asked by Alun Cairns and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Localism Bill Committee (24 out of 24)
- Business of the House: Autumn Statement (5 Dec 2013)
“Over the time that council tax rates have broadly been frozen in England, my constituents and people across Wales have faced council tax increases in the region of 9%. Will the Chancellor join me in supporting the “Freeze the bill” campaign—the council tax bill campaign—to ensure that my constituents get fair play? This is a tax that politicians can control.”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Foreign and Commonwealth Office: PISA Results (3 Dec 2013)
“Does the Secretary of State agree that the outcomes in Wales are nothing short of a scandal and that they are the ultimate demonstration of Labour’s education policy in action? There are parents across Wales, and even some in this House, who are genuinely worried about the future of their children’s education. Will the Secretary of State encourage the Welsh Government to follow...”
- Written Answers — Transport: Aviation (28 Nov 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Transport if he will make an assessment of the effect on businesses in airports of recent changes by airlines to their policies which prevent passengers from bringing items they have purchased at the airport in addition to their carry-on baggage allowance.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 59 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 91 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 78.16% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 4 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 82 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alun Cairns’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 141 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register