This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Nick Smith’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Blaenau Gwent
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Nick Smith
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Nick Smith voted on key issues:
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Select Committee membership
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (since 12 Jul 2010)
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Work and Pensions, Health, Defence, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Treasury
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Obesity, Sri Lanka, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Insulation, Child Benefit
(based on written questions asked by Nick Smith and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Financial Services (Banking Reform) Bill Committee (6 out of 6)
- Financial Services (Banking Reform)Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Oral Answers to Questions — Treasury: Defence Procurement (10 Dec 2013)
“The Secretary of State has talked about the MOD becoming a better, intelligent customer, which is a good thing, but how will he get senior officers to adopt the different mindset and skills needed to do that?”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Prime Minister: National Infrastructure Plan (4 Dec 2013)
“Will the Government consider bringing forward the electrification of the south Wales valleys line? That would make a big difference to boosting employment in a deprived area.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 77 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 21 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 72.54% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 64 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Nick Smith’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 72 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register