This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Susan Elan Jones’s activity (no more than once per day)
Susan Elan Jones
Labour MP for Clwyd South
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (since 7 Oct 2011) (note about dates)
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Susan Elan Jones
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Susan Elan Jones voted on key issues:
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Work and Pensions, Treasury, Justice, Energy and Climate Change, Business, Innovation and Skills
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Vat, Consumer Protection and Markets Authority, Fuel Poverty, Community Orders, Legal Aid Scheme: Wales
(based on written questions asked by Susan Elan Jones and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Local Audit and AccountabilityBill Committee (9 out of 9)
- Small Charitable Donations Bill Committee (8 out of 10)
- Public Bodies Bill Committee (8 out of 8)
- Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Tributes to Nelson Mandela (9 Dec 2013)
“I feel supremely unqualified to speak in this debate having followed people of such great knowledge and campaigning experience in the Anti-Apartheid Movement. I think especially of my right hon. Friend the Member for Neath (Mr Hain), that great South African Welsh—if I may call him that—internationalist. The main reason I am speaking is that I promised primary school...”
- Business Rates (4 Dec 2013)
“I find it rather disheartening that Government Members seem to downplay retail. Will they also downplay village shops, which are closing probably at a faster rate than ever before? This measure from the Labour party will prove a real lifeline to them if we are elected to government.”
- Business of the House: Typhoon Haiyan (28 Nov 2013)
“There has been much rightful praise for the work of the British public in donating to the appeal, but it has involved a younger generation of donors, some perhaps donating for the first time, most of whom will have donated by text. Is the Secretary of State satisfied that we are doing enough to ensure that donations made by text receive gift aid so that more can go towards this important appeal?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 54 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 26 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 79.46% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 60 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Susan Elan Jones’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 65 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register