This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Michael McCann’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for East Kilbride, Strathaven and Lesmahagow
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Michael McCann
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Michael McCann voted on key issues:
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted for a smoking ban. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Voted strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: International Development, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Work and Pensions, Defence, Energy and Climate Change
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Universal Credit, Developing Countries: Food, Energy: Prices, East Kilbride, Civil Servants
(based on written questions asked by Michael McCann and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Pensions Bill Committee (8 out of 12)
- PARTNERSHIPS (PROSECUTION) (SCOTLAND) BILL [LORDS] Committee (1 out of 1)
- PREVENTION OF SOCIAL HOUSING FRAUD BILL Committee (1 out of 1)
- Prisons (Property) bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- London Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (Amendment) Bill Committee (3 out of 3)
- Written Answers — Defence: Armed Forces: Redundancy (2 Dec 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Defence how many members of the armed forces have been made redundant within six months of their scheduled retirement date since May 2010.”
- Written Answers — Defence: Warships: Shipbuilding (18 Nov 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what representations he has received from Scottish Government Ministers on the future of naval shipbuilding on the Clyde.”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Education: Special Educational Needs (11 Nov 2013)
“What assessment he has made of the adequacy of provision of education for children with special educational needs; and if he will make a statement.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 23 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 12 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 65.73% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 40 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Michael McCann’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 57 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register