A selection of William Bain's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Almost always voted for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Show votes
Almost always voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Consistently voted for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Show votes
Consistently voted against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
Generally voted against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of William Bain’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit William Bain’s full vote analysis page for more.
Has the Secretary of State seen this week’s report by Open Europe, which indicates that unless rights at work in this country were to be completely destroyed, leaving the European Union would cause permanent damage to the British economy? Is not the real risk to businesses and workers at the next election the United Kingdom Independence party-Tory alliance that would destroy our place...
What steps he is taking to improve access to Government procurement by small and medium-sized enterprises.
The Minister omitted to say in his answer that nine out of 17 Departments spent less with SMEs in 2013-14 than they did in 2012-13. With just 10% of Government contracts going to small businesses, why have this Government been so poor when it comes to procurement from our SME sector?
More of William Bain’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Glasgow North East
Entered the House of Commons on 13 November 2009 — Byelection
Left the House of Commons on 30 March 2015 — General election
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Work and Pensions
- Energy and Climate Change
- Departmental Food
- Universal Credit
- Departmental Official Cars
- Energy: Prices
- Animal Experiments: Scotland
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Business, Innovation and Skills Committee (4 Nov 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Minister (Scotland) (7 Oct 2011 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Shadow Minister (Transport) (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- Member, Tax Law Rewrite Bills (Joint Committee) (7 Dec 2009 to 6 May 2010)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 54 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs. See all William Bain’s speeches
- Has received answers to 31 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 81.92% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 20–21 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 26 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 212 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from