John Howell’s voting in Parliament
John Howell is a Conservative MP, and so on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of John Howell’s votes.
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
Consistently voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
Almost always voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
Consistently voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
Almost always voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of John Howell’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit John Howell’s full vote analysis page for more.
John Howell never rebelled against their party in this parliament
I used to be a presenter for BBC World Service Television, so I am not one of the BBC-phobic MPs on the Conservative Back Benches, but I understand the need for reform. Independent production in this country is a particularly vibrant and healthy sector. Can my right hon. Friend assure me that during the review he will examine the relationship between the BBC and the independent sector in...
The Home Secretary has commented on the powers that the police have to deal with such situations without the use of water cannon, but she has also commissioned a study on the use of Tasers. I wonder whether this is not the time for a comprehensive assessment of those powers and how they can be used.
What excuse was given by the crematorium? Perhaps my hon. Friend will come on to that.
More of John Howell’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Henley
Entered the House of Commons on 27 June 2008 — Byelection
Topics of interest
- Communities and Local Government
- Work and Pensions
- Goring and Streatley Station
- Ordnance Survey
- Iran: Nuclear Power
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Justice Committee (8 Sep 2014 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Work and Pensions Committee (14 Jul 2008 to 6 May 2010)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 30 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 15 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 98.11% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 4 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 121 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on John Howell’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 111 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 10 Aug 2015.
1. Employment and earnings
Non-executive director of Local Dialogue, of Tradescant Court, 77a Tradescant Road, London SW8 1XJ, a company which delivers consultation programmes. From 31 July 2015 I receive £14,000 a year, in monthly payments of £1,167, for an expected monthly commitment of around half a day. (Registered 04 August 2015)
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: Aubrey Adams
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £5,000
Donor status: individual
(Registered 10 March 2015)
Name of donor: Winetown Ltd
Address of donor: 229 Hyde End Road, Spencers Wood, Reading RG7 1BU
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £15,000
Donor status: company, registration 07023010
(Registered 04 June 2015)
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
I employ my daughter, Lucy Howell, as part-time Caseworker.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from