What does the hon. Gentleman think the answer would be if we asked the general public whether they would prefer to dump Trident rather than sack soldiers?
I add my congratulations to the hon. Gentleman on securing this debate. He is talking as though he is surprised about the lack of scrutiny. I am not surprised in the slightest, because if we had any decent level of scrutiny, it would be very clear that replacing Trident is a complete waste of money.
I add that the countries that own nuclear weapons have all been involved in wars since having nuclear weapons, so it has not stopped them from ending up in some sort of conflict.
More of John Leech's recent appearances
Liberal Democrat MP for Manchester, Withington
Entered House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Departmental Conditions of Employment
- Roads: Accidents
- Breast Cancer
- Driving: Eyesight
Currently held offices
- Member, Culture, Media and Sport Committee
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Transport Minister (8 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister, Transport (21 Mar 2006 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Member, Transport Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 11 May 2010)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 27 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 29 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 67.22% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 26 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 228 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on John Leech’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 143 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 10 Nov 2014.
(a) Name of donor: Robin Grayson
(a) Address of donor: private
(a) Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £8,598.07
(a) Donor status: individual
(a) (Registered 1 August 2014)
6. Overseas visits
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): flights, accommodation and other costs with a total value of £3,500
Destination of visit: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Date of visit: 16-19 November 2013
Purpose of visit: to meet Government Ministers, Members of the Federal National Council, and senior business figures, together with British diplomats in order to build on the strong bilateral relationship and further promote trade and investment ties.
(Registered 9 December 2013)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from