Emily Thornberry’s voting in Parliament
Emily Thornberry is a Labour MP, and so on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Emily Thornberry sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Emily Thornberry generally voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system, while most Labour MPs generally voted for.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Emily Thornberry’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Emily Thornberry’s full vote analysis page for more.
Emily Thornberry never rebelled against their party in this parliament
I listened with great care to what the Prime Minister said because I wanted to hear about the strategy and the plan, but I am disappointed because I fear it is very thin. I have many questions, but I will ask just one about the military strategy. I know the Prime Minister agrees that we cannot bomb Syria into a western-style democracy from 30,000 feet, and that there must be much more. I want...
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, (a) how many and (b) what proportion of tenants in the private rented sector were in receipt of housing benefit in each of the last 10 years.
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, how he plans to define (a) disability and (b) employment for the purposes of measuring the Government's progress towards halving the disability employment gap.
More of Emily Thornberry’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Islington South and Finsbury
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Department of Health
- Home Department
- Crown Prosecution Service
- Serious Fraud Office
- Social Security Benefits
- Universal Credit
Currently held offices
- Shadow Minister (Work and Pensions) (since 18 Sep 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Health Committee (8 Jul 2015 to 26 Oct 2015)
- Shadow Attorney General (7 Oct 2011 to 20 Nov 2014)
- Shadow Minister (Health) (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Shadow Minister (Energy and Climate Change) (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- Member, Draft Constitutional Renewal Bill (Joint Committee) (1 May 2008 to 22 Jul 2008)
- Member, Communities and Local Government Committee (23 Oct 2006 to 2 Nov 2009)
- Member, Draft Legal Services Bill (Joint Committee) (15 May 2006 to 25 Jul 2006)
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 26 Mar 2007)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 44 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 263 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 67.42% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 28 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 197 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Emily Thornberry’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 230 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 9 Nov 2015.
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: Leigh Day
& Co solicitors
Address of donor: Priory House, 25 St John
’s Lane, London EC1M 4LB
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: The services of a legal research assistant to support me in my capacity as Shadow Attorney General
for 5 days a week on a 6 month secondment from 16 September 2013
to 15 March 2014
; value £14,500.
Date of receipt: 16 September 2013
Date of acceptance: 16 September 2013
Donor status: limited liability partnership
(Registered 28 January 2015
6. Land and property: (i) value over £100,000 (ii) rental income of over £10,000 a year
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from