How Shailesh Vara voted
Randomly generated selection of topics. See full list.
Voted very strongly against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Source
Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT Source
Voted strongly for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Source
Voted very strongly for greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Source
Voted very strongly against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Source
Voted moderately for encouraging occupational pensions Source
Get email notifications when Shailesh Vara votes in parliament.
See our much more detailed, easier-to-read analysis of votes on health, welfare, foreign policy, social issues, taxation and more.
Shailesh Vara hardly ever rebelled against their party in this parliament
In April 2011 the Government published an Impact Assessment in relation to the reforms set out in Part 2 of the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders (LASPO) Act 2012. It explained that while there may be a reduction in the number of cases brought where no win no fee conditional fee agreements are used, overall the LASPO reforms will tackle excessive costs. The Government does not...
More of Shailesh Vara's recent appearances
Conservative MP for North West Cambridgeshire
Entered House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Work and Pensions
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Departmental Data Protection
- Departmental Written Questions
- Departmental Art Works
- Departmental Reviews
- Human Trafficking
Currently held offices
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Justice
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (14 Nov 2011 to 14 Jan 2013)
- Member, Administration Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 14 Nov 2011)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (12 May 2010 to 6 Sep 2012)
- Shadow Deputy Leader of the House of Commons, Parliament (8 Sep 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Deputy Shadow Leader of the House of Commons, Parliament (27 Jul 2009 to 8 Sep 2009)
- Deputy Shadow Leader, Parliament (6 Jul 2007 to 27 Jul 2009)
- Deputy Shadow Leader of the House of Commons, Leader of the House of Commons (8 Nov 2006 to 6 Jul 2007)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 12 Dec 2006)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 21 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 87.49% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 8 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 120 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Shailesh Vara’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 204 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 2 Jun 2014.
6. Overseas visits
Name of donor: Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs, Government of India
Address of donor: c/o High Commission
of India, India House, Aldwych, London WC2B 4NA.
Amount of donation: Approximately £2,160, which included travel to and from India,
transportation within New Delhi, accommodation and some meals.
Date of visit: 6-10 January 2014
(Registered 28 January 2014)
8. Land and Property
Flat in London from which rental income is received.
Joint owner of farmland in Gujarat, India
. No rent or other income received.
(a) Crofton (MH
) Ltd; a property investment company. (Registered 14 January 2013)
I have shares in Nation1 Group UK
Ltd, a digital communications company (which are not registrable under Category 9), some of which were in consideration for consulting work done for Futurecomm International Ltd, trading as Nation1, a digital communications company.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from