This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Shailesh Vara’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for North West Cambridgeshire
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Justice (since 7 Oct 2013) (note about dates)
- Entered Parliament on 5 May 2005 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Shailesh Vara
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Shailesh Vara voted on key issues:
- Voted very strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Has never voted on a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted very strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted very strongly for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately against more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Has never voted on removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Home Department, Health, Justice, Work and Pensions, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Departmental Data Protection, Departmental Written Questions, Departmental Art Works, Departmental Reviews, Human Trafficking
(based on written questions asked by Shailesh Vara and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Defamation Bill Committee (5 out of 5)
- Crime and Courts Bill Committee (13 out of 13)
- Energy Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Energy Bill Committee (8 out of 8)
- Parliament (Joint Departments) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Company Law Reform Bill Committee (21 out of 22)
- Upcoming Business – Lords: Select Committee (11 Dec 2013)
“Inquiries Act 2005: Inquiries Act 2005.
Witnesses: (at 10.40am) evidence will be heard from Shailesh Vara MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Ministry of Justice, Minister for Courts and Legal Aid and Richard Mason, Deputy Director, Ministry of Justice”
- Written Answers — Justice: Charitable Donations (4 Dec 2013)
“The Ministry of Justice (including its agencies) has systems in place that allow all employees to donate via payroll giving through the 'Give As You Earn Scheme' in which they can choose to set up a charity account or direct donation. Information on the 'Give as you Earn Scheme' is available on our internal intranet. The Ministry of Justice supports the Government's commitment to raise...”
- Written Answers — Justice: Magistrates Courts: Wales (4 Dec 2013)
“The information is as follows: (1) There is no estimate of the cost of moving Neath magistrates court into the local county court. (2) The impact assessment published alongside the consultation set out that, in present value terms, the estimate of the transition costs are £231,000 in the first year only. (3) During 2012-13 approximately (a) £620,000 (b) £310,000 (c)...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 13 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 89.62% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 7 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 113 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Shailesh Vara’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 164 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05||2003/04||2002/03||2001/02|
|Staying away from main home||£23,475 (116th)||£22,839 (233rd)||£22,110 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£21,069|
|Office running costs||£7,952 (612th)||£10,075 (591st)||£12,226 (597th)||£18,792|
|Staffing costs||£106,662 (37th)||£90,711 (168th)||£71,914 (583rd)||£58,320|
|Communications Allowance||£2,143 (549th)||£1,099 (576th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£6,883 (338th)1||£5,652 (425th)2||£5,659 (420th)||£5,056|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£48 (joint 413th with 2 others)||£0|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£924 (130th)||£924 (131st)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£2,196 (493rd)||£1,133 (184th)||£774 (joint 380th with 1 other)||£829|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,235 (530th)||£1,168 (560th)||£3,270||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£917 (610th)||£878 (joint 571st with 3 others)||£878|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£1,128 (joint 56th with 1 other)||£0|
|Total||£150,235 (326th)||£134,585 (477th)||£115,905 (580th)||£108,214|