Does Alasdair McDonnell respond to constituents’ emails?
According to our 2015 survey, Alasdair McDonnell responded to a
low proportion of messages
sent by constituents on WriteToThem.com.
See the results in context
Alasdair McDonnell’s voting in Parliament
Alasdair McDonnell is a Social Democratic and Labour Party MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Social Democratic and Labour Party MPs.
This is a selection of Alasdair McDonnell’s votes.
Voted a mixture of for and against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Show votes
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
Generally voted against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Show votes
Has never voted on encouraging occupational pensions
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Show votes
Generally voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Alasdair McDonnell’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Alasdair McDonnell’s full vote analysis page for more.
Alasdair McDonnell has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
I endorse the Prime Minister’s comments about the deaths in Orlando and Paris and associate the Social and Democratic Labour party with those remarks. I assure the Prime Minister that the SDLP is fully behind him in his efforts to secure a remain vote. The Brexit campaigners have made securing our borders their resounding war cry, but when it comes to the only land border between the UK...
The Secretary of State will have noticed the recent significant slowdown in foreign direct investment into Northern Ireland because of the uncertainty about the outcome of the referendum. Has the Secretary of State made any assessment of the impact of a UK exit on the future of job creation and specifically of a British exit decision that might arrest foreign direct investment and render the...
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what recent representations he has made to the governments of (a) Egypt, (b) Saudi Arabia and (c) United Arab Emirates on the removal of restrictions on press freedom in these countries and the Middle East.
More of Alasdair McDonnell’s recent appearances
Social Democratic and Labour Party MP for Belfast South, Former Social Democratic and Labour Party MLA for Belfast South
Entered the House of Commons on 5 May 2005 — General election
Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
Left the Assembly on 28 June 2015 — Resigned
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Northern Ireland
- Work and Pensions
- Home Department
- Northern Ireland
- Rates Collection Agency
- Invest Northern Ireland
- Hip Replacements
- Pancreatic Cancer
Currently held offices
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (since 6 Jul 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Leader of the Social Democratic & Labour Party (15 Nov 2011 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow SDLP Chief Whip (6 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow SDLP Spokesperson (Culture, Media and Sport) (1 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow SDLP Spokesperson (Business, Innoviation and Skills) (5 Jun 2009 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Northern Ireland) (1 Jul 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister (Europe) (1 Jul 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Business, Innovation and Skills) (1 Jul 2007 to 5 Jun 2009)
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Education) (1 Jul 2005 to 1 Jul 2008)
- Shadow SDLP Spokesperson (Health) (1 Jul 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jul 2005 to 1 Jul 2007)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Work and Pensions) (1 Jul 2005 to 1 Jul 2007)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 6 Jun 2016.
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Smallholding/farm in Co Antrim
: (i) and (ii).
House in Belfast: (i) and (ii).
Part-owner of Ormeau Health Centre and adjacent property, Lower Ormeau Road, Belfast, from which rental income is received. See category 7 below: (i) and (ii).
Holiday house in Glenarriffe, Co Antrim, currently being refurbished and from which rental income is not currently received: (i).
Flat in London: (i) and (ii).
7. (i) Shareholdings: over 15% of issued share capital
Arrow Travel, Belfast.
Ormeau Health Centre. See category 6 above.
Member of the Northern Ireland Assembly, Parliament Buildings, Stormont, Belfast (unpaid) (Updated 28 January 2014
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from