Hywel Williams’s voting in Parliament
Hywel Williams is a Plaid Cymru MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Plaid Cymru MPs.
This is a selection of Hywel Williams’s votes.
Generally voted for a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
Generally voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Generally voted for a more proportional system for electing MPs Show votes
Generally voted against reducing central government funding of local government Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Hywel Williams’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Hywel Williams’s full vote analysis page for more.
Hywel Williams never rebelled against their party in this parliament
I congratulate the right hon. Member for Belfast North (Mr Dodds) on securing this debate. The Minister referred to Alan Greenspan, and said that he was not going to give any clues, and that certainly was the case with his remarks. I quote back to him Henry Kissinger who, when facing a very excited press conference, scanned the excited news hounds and said, “Do any of you boys have...
And on the Conservative Benches. Carwyn Jones, our First Minister, has written to the Prime Minister and made his views abundantly clear. However, the Labour party at Westminster does not oppose a June referendum—in fact, it seems very much in favour of that as it wants a quick referendum. Either the Labour party headquarters does not listen to Carwyn Jones, or possibly it is part of a...
The right hon. Gentleman makes a good point. Some Welsh Members were here earlier in the debate, but it is regrettable in the extreme that they are not here now to contribute. I assume, however, that they will be trooping through the Lobby if the Labour party decides to take part in a vote. The media campaign has already started, and it feels almost as if every news broadcast and every...
More of Hywel Williams’s recent appearances
Plaid Cymru MP for Arfon
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Also represented Caernarfon
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Work and Pensions
- Culture Media and Sport
- Welsh Language
- Departmental Public Expenditure
- Driving: Licensing
- Departmental Staff (Bicycles)
- Tax Credits
Currently held offices
- PC Westminster Leader (since 12 Oct 2015)
- Member, Speaker's Advisory Committee on Works of Art (since 1 Jul 2015)
- Shadow PC Spokesperson (Culture, Media and Sport) (since 8 May 2015)
- Shadow PC Spokesperson (Defence) (since 8 May 2015)
- Shadow PC Spokesperson (Foreign and Commonwealth Office/Europe) (since 8 May 2015)
- Shadow PC Spokesperson (International Development) (since 10 May 2004)
- Shadow PC Spokesperson (Work and Pensions) (since 10 May 2001)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Welsh Affairs Committee (6 Jan 2014 to 10 Mar 2014)
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (Commons) (27 Feb 2012 to 20 Oct 2014)
- Member, Speaker's Advisory Committee on Works of Art (18 Nov 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Cabinet Office) (18 Jun 2010 to 18 Mar 2013)
- Shadow PC Spokesperson (Education) (10 Jun 2005 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (24 May 2005 to 17 Sep 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Culture, Media and Sport) (10 May 2005 to 10 May 2006)
- Member, Draft Mental Health Bill (Joint Committee) (20 Jul 2004 to 11 Jul 2005)
- Member, Welsh Affairs Committee (26 Jan 2004 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow PC Spokesperson (Health) (10 May 2001 to 30 Mar 2015)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 44 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 21 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 61.98% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 81 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Hywel Williams’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 341 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from