I listened carefully when the Leader of the House said that there would be no changes in the House of Lords. He went on to say that if amendments were made that affected England only, there would be a veto by English MPs. What happens if the House of Lords decides to extend the extent of a Bill to bring in Scottish matters or to change things affecting Scotland? Will Scottish MPs get a veto...
The reference to the King’s Fund was to make the point that it said that this was a tall order, as I think the Minister himself is admitting.
I am glad to speak in this important debate under your chairmanship, Mr Pritchard. I congratulate the hon. Member for Hendon (Dr Offord) on securing it. Obviously, in Scotland the situation is slightly different, because the NHS is devolved, but many issues cross over, wherever our health services are located. I was very interested in some of the points made. NHS Scotland has produced a...
More of Michael Weir’s recent appearances
Scottish National Party MP for Angus
Entered the House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Trade and Industry
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Work and Pensions
- Departmental Expenditure
- Public Consultation
- Public Appointments
- Fair Trade
- Departmental Assets
Currently held offices
- SNP Chief Whip (since 20 May 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Energy and Climate Change) (15 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Business) (15 Jun 2010 to 20 May 2015)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (26 May 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (5 Jun 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Energy and Climate Change Committee (19 Jan 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Business and Enterprise Committee (10 Mar 2008 to 19 Jan 2009)
- Member, Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Committee (19 Nov 2007 to 10 Mar 2008)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (28 Jun 2007 to 5 Jun 2009)
- Member, Trade & Industry Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 8 Nov 2007)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (24 May 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Work and Pensions) (10 May 2005 to 10 Oct 2007)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Trade and Industry) (10 May 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Trade and Industry) (28 Feb 2004 to 30 Oct 2004)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (28 Feb 2004 to 30 Oct 2004)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Health) (28 Feb 2004 to 30 Oct 2004)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 12 Jul 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
- International Development (Official Development Assistance Target) Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Chairman, Taxation of Pensions Bill Committee (1 out of 4)
- Chairman, Leasehold Reform (Amendment) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Local Audit and AccountabilityBill Committee (5 out of 9)
- Energy Bill Committee (16 out of 16)
- PARTNERSHIPS (PROSECUTION) (SCOTLAND) BILL [LORDS] Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Prisons (Interference with Wireless Telegraphy) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Postal Services Bill Committee (14 out of 21)
- Chairman, Welfare Reform Bill Committee (11 out of 26)
- Energy Bill Committee (12 out of 12)
- Children, Schools and Families Bill Committee (4 out of 12)
- Climate Change Bill Committee (8 out of 10)
- Chairman, Consumers, Estate Agents and Redress Bill Committee (4 out of 6)
- Chairman, Parliament (Joint Departments) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Child Maintenance and Other Payments Bill Committee (11 out of 11)
- Climate Change and Sustainable Energy Bill Committee (3 out of 3)
- Chairman, Commons Bill Committee (2 out of 4)
- Energy Bill Committee (12 out of 14)
- Child Trust Funds Bill Committee (4 out of 7)
- Sunday Working (Scotland) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Fireworks Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 48 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 56 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 90.00% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 8 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 46 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Michael Weir’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 477 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from