Parliamentary ICT is trialing and will continue to trial device-independent software supporting open standards. Examples include using HTML5 to deliver services that are responsive in design and accessible on any device.
The House Service has no access to information on which it could base a realistic estimate.
Apple iPads for Members engaged in Select Committee business were initially piloted by the Administration Committee between April and October 2011. This was followed by an extended pilot with other Select Committees. At the time of the first pilot, the tablet market was very limited and there were not considered to be any comparable products to the iPad. At the time of the extended pilot the...
More of John Thurso's recent appearances
Former Liberal Democrat MP for Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross
Entered House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Left Parliament on 30 March 2015 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Work and Pensions
- Parliamentary Questions
- Departmental ICT
- Civil Servants (Relocation)
- Tax Credits
Currently held offices
- Chair, Finance and Services Committee (since 27 Jul 2010)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (since 27 Jul 2010)
- Member, Treasury Committee (since 24 Apr 2006)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Parliamentary Commission on Banking Standards (Joint Committee) (16 Jul 2012 to 12 Jun 2013)
- Member, Draft House of Lords Reform Bill (Joint Committee) (23 Jun 2011 to 26 Mar 2012)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 27 Jul 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills (8 Oct 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Administration Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Speaker's Advisory Committee on Works of Art (11 Jul 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Transport (10 May 2003 to 10 May 2005)
- Member, Culture, Media and Sport Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Scotland) (1 Jul 2001 to 10 Mar 2006)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2002)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Culture, Media and Sport) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 21 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 5 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 71.99% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 3 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 62 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 271 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 9 Mar 2015.
1. Remunerated directorships
Director of International Wine and Spirit Competition Ltd, Building 17, Dunsfold Park, Stovolds Hill, Cranleigh, Surrey, GU6 8TB; organisers annual wine and spirit competition.
Fee of £2,250 received on 24 April 2014. Hours: 4 hrs. (Registered 24 April 2014)
Fee of £4,500 received on 17 November 2014. Hours: 11 hrs. (Registered 18 November 2014)
(a) Donations to my constituency
party or association, which have been or will be reported by my party to the Electoral Commission:
(a) Name of donor: S W M Threipland
(a) Address of donor: private
(a) Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £5,000
(a) Donor status: individual
(a) (Registered 30 December 2014)
8. Land and Property
Moorland Estate and Hill Farm in Altnabraec, Caithness.
9. Registrable shareholdings
(a) Ulbster Holdings Ltd, which manages family properties and holds shares in family companies.
(b) Walker Greenbank PLC
, manufacturers of wallpaper and fabric (2% of share capital is owned by Ulbster Holdings Ltd).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from