Applicants for the role of Clerk of the House and Chief Executive applied in confidence. Records relating to the recruitment process constitute the personal data of the applicants. It would still be possible to identify personal information about individuals following the redaction of names and other personal data from records of the panel discussion. It is not the Commission’s practice...
In her speech to Members of both Houses in Westminster Hall on 21 June 2012 Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi urged the UK to provide “practical help” to support moves to democracy in Burma. The initial secondment of a senior researcher from the House of Commons Library to work with the Burmese Parliament for 6 months from January 2014 was authorised by the Clerk of the...
Panel members were not formally asked to declare previous contacts. However, during the interview process and as part of the panel discussion a number of panel members did declare their prior knowledge of external candidates.
More of John Thurso's recent appearances
Liberal Democrat MP for Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross
Entered House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Work and Pensions
- Parliamentary Questions
- Departmental ICT
- Civil Servants (Relocation)
- Tax Credits
Currently held offices
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Parliamentary Commission on Banking Standards (Joint Committee) (16 Jul 2012 to 12 Jun 2013)
- Member, Draft House of Lords Reform Bill (Joint Committee) (23 Jun 2011 to 26 Mar 2012)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (8 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (7 Oct 2008 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Member, Treasury Committee (26 Apr 2006 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Advisory Committee on Works of Art (1 Nov 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Administration Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Culture, Media & Sport Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Transport (And Scotland), Transport (26 Jan 2004 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland (And Transport), Scotland (26 Jan 2004 to 21 Mar 2006)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 19 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 72.44% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 3 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 62 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on John Thurso’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 254 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 26 Aug 2014.
1. Remunerated directorships
Director of International Wine and Spirit Competition Ltd, Building 17, Dunsfold Park, Stovolds Hill, Cranleigh, Surrey, GU6 8TB; organisers annual wine and spirit competition.
Fee of £2,250 received on 28 September 2013. Hours: 4 hrs. (Registered 28 October 2013)
Fee of £2,250 received on 28 January 2014. Hours: 7 hrs. (Registered 28 January 2014)
Fee of £2,250 received on 24 April 2014. Hours: 4 hrs. (Registered 24 April 2014)
January 2014, received fee of £250 for speaking at an event organised by Wroxton College
of Fairleigh Dickinson University, Wroxton, Nr Banbury, OX15 6PX. Hours: 1 hr. (Registered 11 February 2014)
8. Land and Property
Moorland Estate and Hill Farm
in Altnabraec, Caithness.
9. Registrable shareholdings
(a) Ulbster Holdings Ltd, which manages family properties and holds shares in family companies.
(b) Walker Greenbank PLC
, manufacturers of wallpaper and fabric (2% of share capital is owned by Ulbster Holdings Ltd).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from