Thank you, Mr Speaker. I am glad that Machrihanish is on the shortlist to become the UK’s first spaceport. It is far from any centres of population, it has a 3-km runway and the facilities of an RAF base, and I believe that it is the ideal candidate. I hope that the Department for Transport will support Machrihanish’s case.
What steps he is taking to secure the return of the UK citizens who were aboard the MV Seaman Guard Ohio when she was detained by the Indian authorities.
I thank the Minister for that answer, but it is now eight months since an Indian court quashed the charges against my constituent Billy Irving. He, and the other UK citizens, are still unable to leave India because the legal process has ground to a halt. Will the Foreign Office redouble its efforts to persuade the Indian authorities to conclude the legal process quickly and get these men home?
More of Alan Reid's recent appearances
Former Liberal Democrat MP for Argyll and Bute
Entered House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Left Parliament on 30 March 2015 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Work and Pensions
- Trade and Industry
- Gaelic Language
- Sustainable Development
- Postal Services
- Illegal Meat Imports
- Post Office Card Account
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (13 May 2010 to 1 Jun 2010)
- Shadow Minister (Scotland) (20 Dec 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister (Northern Ireland) (10 Mar 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Minister (Trade and Industry) (10 May 2005 to 10 Mar 2006)
- Member, Broadcasting Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jun 2002 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Member, Broadcasting Committee (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 41 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 2 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 85.96% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 8 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 126 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 311 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
(a) Donations to my constituency
party or association, which have been or will be reported by my party to the Electoral Commission:
(a) Name of donor: Mr Duncan Greenland
(a) Address of donor: private
(a) Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £10,000
(a) Donor status: individual
(a) (Registered 4 November 2014)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from