I have a word of caution for my hon. Friend, who is making a very powerful and correct point. I am a member of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, and one problem that we have had is that we are losing countries from the CPA because of the problems that we are facing. Australia is an obvious one. The problem in this case is that we may split the Council of Europe if we are not...
My hon. Friend is absolutely right. I have been here since 2001 and this has been a thorny problem since then. I was in the same intake as the Minister, who is in his place. I hope that when he gets the chance to speak he will address the situation in Somerset, where we face the same problem as Worcester.
One of the issues that my hon. Friend is rightly exploring affects both our areas. Much of the rural heartland that we represent cannot be reached by the outreach that BT is doing, and we will need extra funding for some of our areas. I expect that that is exactly what he is homing in on. Across Exmoor, Dartmoor and those places, we will need that funding, I would have thought.
More of Ian Liddell-Grainger’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for Bridgwater and West Somerset
Entered House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Also represented Bridgwater
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Home Department
- Parrett Catchment Project
- Musgrove Park Hospital Taunton
- Asylum Seekers
- Probation Service
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Speaker's Advisory Committee on Works of Art (18 Nov 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Select Committee) (12 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (18 Dec 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Crossrail Bill Committee (5 Dec 2005 to 13 Nov 2007)
- Member, Constitutional Affairs Committee (13 Jul 2005 to 5 Nov 2007)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (15 Dec 2003 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (2 Dec 2002 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Public Administration Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 6 May 2010)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 13 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- People have made 21 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 14–15 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 156 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Ian Liddell-Grainger’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 224 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
6. Overseas visits
Name of donor: (1) Vietnam Airlines, London office (2) Fund for Economic Activities in Support of Economic Development (3) local authorities in Vietnam
Address of donor: (1) 4th floor, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London SW1W 0EN; (2), 7 Chu Va An St, Hanoi, Vietnam
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): £1,360, comprising (1) flights costing £650, and a further £710 for accommodation and meals, which was shared equally between donors (2) and (3)
Destination of visit: Vietnam
Date of visit: 10-16 December 2011
Purpose of visit: to gain greater familiarity with the current socio-economic development of Vietnam and go contribute to improving relations between Vietnam and the UK
in my capacity as chair of the Vietnam APG
(Registered 30 March 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from