Occasionally rebels against their party in this parliament
How Ian Liddell-Grainger voted on key issues since 2001
- Voted very strongly against restricting the provision of services to private patients by the NHSDetails
- Voted a mixture of for and against a referendum on the UK's membership of the EUDetails
- Voted strongly against introducing ID cardsDetails
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per yearDetails
- Voted moderately against equal gay rightsDetails
- Voted moderately against more EU integrationDetails
- Voted very strongly for greater autonomy for schoolsDetails
- Voted strongly for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax")Details
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate changeDetails
- Voted strongly against a more proportional system for electing MPsDetails
- Voted very strongly against the hunting banDetails
- Has never voted on replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons systemDetails
- Voted very strongly for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituencyDetails
- Voted strongly for a reduction in spending on welfare benefitsDetails
- Voted moderately against a wholly elected House of LordsDetails
- Voted very strongly for reforming the NHS so GPs buy services on behalf of their patientsDetails
- Voted very strongly against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disabilityDetails
- Voted strongly against a smoking banDetails
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum systemDetails
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensionsDetails
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent ParliamentDetails
- Voted very strongly for fewer MPs in the House of CommonsDetails
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq warDetails
- Voted strongly against introducing foundation hospitalsDetails
- Voted very strongly for reducing central government funding of local governmentDetails
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism lawsDetails
- Voted moderately against allowing ministers to intervene in inquestsDetails
- Voted strongly for increasing the rate of VATDetails
- Voted moderately against raising welfare benefits at least in line with pricesDetails
More on well-known issues (from the Guardian) & their full record
May I apologise to the House for my lateness? Unfortunately, I got stuck on a train from Newcastle for reasons I do not need to detain the House with. I will take as little time as I can so as not to abuse the position that I have been given in this debate. I thank the Minister and the whole team for all their work—I am talking about the Prime Minister all the way down through the...
My hon. Friend has hit the nail on the head. She is most astute. One of the problems is that we do not have the capacity to pump into the river below a certain level. I am talking about the area on the border between my constituency and the constituency of my hon. Friend the Member for Somerton and Frome (Mr Heath). What happened was that the river backed up. We could not get the water...
I absolutely agree with my hon. Friend. This year, we managed to shut the main railway line and the A303, and water was lapping against parts of the M5. We really could have stopped tourism in most of the west country. I am glad that that did not happen; it is obviously good news.
More of Ian Liddell-Grainger's recent appearances
Conservative MP for Bridgwater and West Somerset
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Home Department
- Parrett Catchment Project
- Musgrove Park Hospital Taunton
- Asylum Seekers
- Probation Service
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (18 Jan 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Crossrail Bill Committee (6 Dec 2005 to 15 Nov 2007)
- Member, Public Administration Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Public Administration Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 19 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 8 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 71.07% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 19 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 14–15 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 135 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Ian Liddell-Grainger’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 216 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)