I congratulate the hon. Gentleman on bringing forward this debate. The issue at stake is getting fairness right throughout the regions. It is not just about Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or, indeed, London, which, as everybody seems to forget, already has an assembly; at the end of the day, we are looking to get to a position where everything is seen to be transparent and fair for all...
Will the Minister give way?
I hope to take all five minutes for my speech, Mr Speaker. I apologise for that, but though I rarely speak in the Chamber, it would be remiss of me not to speak on this subject. I am going to put a different spin, if that is agreeable, on what has been said already. I started in the pit when I was 15 and was going down the pit at 16. I will not go over all the history, but I worked in the pit...
More of David Hamilton's recent appearances
Labour MP for Midlothian
Entered House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Work and Pensions
- Trade and Industry
- Home Department
- Coal Industry
- Defence Activities: Scotland
- Terrorism: Detainees
- Television: Sports
Currently held offices
- Opposition Assistant Whip (Commons)
Other offices held in the past
- PPS (Rt Hon Edward Miliband, Secretary of State), Department for Energy and Climate Change (30 Dec 2008 to unknown)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (9 Nov 2007 to 4 Feb 2008)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (7 Nov 2007 to 5 Feb 2008)
- Member, Defence Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Defence Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 2 Nov 2010)
- Member, European Scrutiny Committee (29 Jun 2005 to 26 Apr 2007)
- Member, European Scrutiny Committee (28 Jun 2005 to 25 Apr 2007)
- Member, Work and Pensions Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Procedure Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Broadcasting Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Work and Pensions Committee (23 Oct 2003 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (10 Feb 2003 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Member, Procedure Committee (16 Jul 2001 to 12 Jul 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 5 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 77.34% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 15–16 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 68 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on David Hamilton’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 126 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 23 Feb 2015.
(a) Address of donor: Unite House, 128 Theobalds Road, London WC1X 8TN
(a) Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £3,000
(a) (Registered 1 May 2014)
6. Overseas visits
Name of donor: The Taipei Representative Office in the UK
Address of donor: 50 Grosvenor Gardens, London SW1W 0EB
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): the approximate amount includes accommodation £600, food £300 and return flights £2,400; total £3,300
Destination of visit: Taiwan
Date of visit: 26 July-2 August 2014
Purpose of visit: As part of the British-Taiwanese APPG
, to promote the understanding of Taiwan and strengthen UK-Taiwan relations.
(Registered 6 August 2014)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from