As Secretary of State for Scotland, I have met the right hon. Member for Edinburgh South West (Mr Darling) on two occasions where we discussed issues of importance to the people of Scotland. Officials in the Office of the Advocate-General have not had any meetings with the right hon. Member.
I refer the hon. Gentleman to the answer given by the Minister for the Cabinet Office and Paymaster General, the right hon. Member for Horsham (Mr Maude), on 7 July 2014, Official Report, columns 5-6W.
As part of the United Kingdom, Scotland has an impressive track record of attracting international inward investment, which recent figures have put at its highest level for 16 years. Scotland has strong potential to build on that record as part of the UK, the No. 1 location for Europe-bound foreign investment.
More of Alistair Carmichael's recent appearances
Liberal Democrat MP for Orkney and Shetland
Entered House of Commons on 7 June 2001 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Trade and Industry
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Crown Estate
- Departmental Postal Services
- Royal Prerogative
Currently held offices
- The Secretary of State for Scotland
Other offices held in the past
- Comptroller (HM Household) (Deputy Chief Whip, House of Commons) (12 May 2010 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Member, Members' Allowances Committee (10 Feb 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland and Northern Ireland (8 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland and Northern Ireland, Scottish and Northern Ireland Affairs (7 Oct 2008 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Member, Draft Constitutional Renewal Bill (Joint Committee) (7 May 2008 to 27 Nov 2008)
- Member, Consolidation etc. Bills (Joint Committee) (18 Apr 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (29 Jan 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland, Scottish Affairs (6 Jul 2007 to 6 Mar 2008)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland, Scotland (4 Jul 2007 to 6 Jul 2007)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Northern Ireland Affairs (4 Jul 2007 to 6 Mar 2008)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Transport, Transport (21 Mar 2006 to 4 Jul 2007)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 24 May 2006)
- Shadow Minister, Home Affairs (1 Jun 2005 to 21 Mar 2006)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Energy Review, Scotland (26 Jan 2004 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Shadow Minister (Northern Ireland), Northern Ireland Affairs (26 Jan 2004 to 1 Jun 2005)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 8 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 1 written question in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 75.25% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 7 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 52 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Alistair Carmichael’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 530 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 2 Jun 2014.
6. Overseas visits
Address of donor: 100 London Road, Kingston upon Thames, KT2 6QJ
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): costs of visit; £5,090.04
Destination of visit: Cameroon
Date of visit: 18-29 August 2013
Purpose of visit: participation in VSO political volunteer scheme
(Registered 24 September 2013)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from