This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on George Young’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for North West Hampshire
- Also represented Ealing Acton
- The Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (since 19 Oct 2012) (note about dates)
- Entered Parliament on 28 February 1974 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by George Young
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How George Young voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately against more EU integration. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted strongly against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted very strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted very strongly for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted very strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Home Department, Transport, Treasury, Education and Skills, Transport, Local Government and the Regions
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Members: Correspondence, Departmental Staffing, Correspondence, Safeguarding Children, Prisons: Overcrowding
(based on written questions asked by George Young and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Housing and Regeneration Bill Committee (14 out of 17)
- Health Bill Committee (12 out of 12)
- Finance (No.2) Bill Committee (20 out of 21)
- School Transport Bill Committee (4 out of 4)
- Community Care (Delayed Discharges etc.) Bill Committee (3 out of 3)
- Health and Social Care (Community Health and Standards) Bill Committee (20 out of 23)
- Health and Social Care Bill Committee (12 out of 14)
- European Union (Referendum) Bill (5 Jul 2013)
“claimed to move the closure ( Standing Order No. 36).”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Home Department: West Coast Main Line (15 Oct 2012)
“The House is grateful to my right hon. Friend for coming here at the earliest opportunity to explain what has gone wrong and to describe the action that he proposes to take. I welcome that. Does he recall that, at the beginning, franchising was done not by his Department but by an independent, arm’s-length body? Twenty-four franchises were issued in some 18 months, none of which was...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 1 debate in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 90.27% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 33 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 71 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on George Young’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 2217 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£23,297 (134th)||£23,083 (joint 1st with 142 others)||£22,110 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£20,442||£17,694 (405th)||£16,759 (418th)||£15,725 (507th)||£11,346 (533rd)|
|Office running costs||£14,577 (445th)||£8,665 (608th)||£16,270 (531st)||£10,386||£13,759 (537th)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£15,118 (545th)||£14,243 (372nd)|
|Staffing costs||£79,238 (575th)||£83,682 (452nd)||£77,595 (509th)||£82,922||£75,902 (121st)||£68,023 (joint 228th with 71 others)||£65,596 (joint 179th with 51 others)||£47,622 (258th)|
|Communications Allowance||£1,846 (555th)||£1,631 (564th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£4,916 (448th)1||£4,929 (470th)2||£4,645 (484th)||£4,768||£7,397 (447th)||£6,909 (447th)||£7,066 (452nd)||£5,146 (459th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£147 (314th)||£313 (273rd)||£0||£143||£89 (joint 427th with 2 others)||£97 (joint 425th with 2 others)||£103 (joint 419th with 1 other)||£142 (joint 379th with 3 others)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£590 (184th)||£764 (153rd)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£4,054 (joint 261st with 1 other)||£830 (joint 294th with 1 other)||£944 (joint 299th with 1 other)||£727||£1,088 (261st)||£592 (467th)||£662 (joint 486th with 1 other)||£1,015 (323rd)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£3,788 (152nd)||£3,862 (207th)||£3,824||£4,186 (180th)||£2,879 (joint 277th with 1 other)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,198 (332nd)||£1,032 (370th)||£103||£1,530 (joint 567th with 1 other)||£1,530 (joint 548th with 1 other)||£1,530 (527th)||£1,530 (453rd)|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£4,874 (29th)||£4,776 (12th)|
|Total||£128,665 (549th)||£128,883 (542nd)||£126,458 (503rd)||£123,315||£121,645 (365th)||£115,588 (398th)||£110,674 (384th)||£85,820 (386th)|