How George Young voted since 2001
Randomly generated selection of topics. See full list.
Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT Source
Voted very strongly for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Source
Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees Source
Voted very strongly against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Source
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Source
Voted very strongly for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Source
Get email notifications when George Young speaks in parliament.
See our much more detailed, easier-to-read analysis of votes on health, welfare, foreign policy, social issues, taxation and more.
George Young hardly ever rebelled against their party in this parliament
Conservative MP for North West Hampshire
Entered House of Commons on 28 February 1974 — General election
Also represented Ealing Acton
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Education and Skills
- Local Government and the Regions
- Members: Correspondence
- Departmental Staffing
- Safeguarding Children
- Prisons: Overcrowding
Other offices held in the past
- The Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (19 Oct 2012 to 15 Jul 2014)
- Member, Public Accounts Commission (12 Jul 2010 to 6 Sep 2012)
- The Leader of the House of Commons (12 May 2010 to 6 Sep 2012)
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (4 Nov 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Speaker's Committee For the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (27 Oct 2009 to 4 Nov 2009)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons, Parliament (8 Sep 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Committee on Reform of the House of Commons (10 Aug 2009 to 22 Oct 2009)
- Member, Draft Constitutional Renewal Bill (Joint Committee) (7 May 2008 to 27 Nov 2008)
- Chairman, Standards and Privileges Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 15 Oct 2009)
- Member, Selection Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 27 Oct 2009)
- Member, Liaison Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 27 Oct 2009)
- Member, Standards and Privileges Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 1 Nov 2005)
- Chairman, Standards and Privileges Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Selection Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Liaison Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 12 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 89.78% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 33 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 74 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on George Young’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 2230 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 27 Oct 2014.
5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK
I was given honorary membership of the Carlton Club
for the tenure of my position as Government Chief Whip
; until July 2014. (Registered 31 December 2012; updated 19 September 2014)
Name of donor: Mr Neal O’Kelly
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £9,000 in sponsoring my golden wedding party on 19 July 2014, for which tickets were sold by the North West Hampshire Conservative Association.
Date of receipt of donation: 13 July 2014
Date of acceptance of donation: 19 July 2014
Donor status: individual
(Registered 4 August 2014)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from