Procedure: Evidence from former Leaders of the House.
Witnesses: Rt Hon Andrew Lansley MP, Rt Hon Jack Straw MP and Rt Hon Sir George Young MP
I have listened carefully to the points made by my hon. Friends in this debate, and particularly to my hon. Friend the Member for Christchurch (Mr Chope), who in Committee made it clear that he had reservations about expulsion. I have gone back to the sponsors of the Bill and had discussions with the upper House. If anything, the power to expel is almost more important to them than the power...
My hon. Friend raised that point in Committee and I gave some examples that were used in the upper House such as repeated offences, for example, or a criminal sentence of less than a year. Members may take the view that that activity is unacceptable and that the Member should be expelled. Expulsion must be related to conduct, which is specifically mentioned in the Bill. Fears that someone...
More of George Young's recent appearances
Conservative MP for North West Hampshire
Entered House of Commons on 28 February 1974 — General election
Also represented Ealing Acton
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Education and Skills
- Local Government and the Regions
- Members: Correspondence
- Departmental Staffing
- Safeguarding Children
- Prisons: Overcrowding
Other offices held in the past
- The Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (19 Oct 2012 to 15 Jul 2014)
- Member, Public Accounts Commission (12 Jul 2010 to 6 Sep 2012)
- The Leader of the House of Commons (12 May 2010 to 6 Sep 2012)
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (4 Nov 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (28 Oct 2009 to 6 Sep 2012)
- Member, Speaker's Committee For the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (27 Oct 2009 to 4 Nov 2009)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (8 Sep 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons, Parliament (8 Sep 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Committee on Reform of the House of Commons (10 Aug 2009 to 22 Oct 2009)
- Member, Committee on Reform of the House of Commons (20 Jul 2009 to 21 Oct 2009)
- Member, Draft Constitutional Renewal Bill (Joint Committee) (7 May 2008 to 27 Nov 2008)
- Member, Draft Constitutional Renewal Bill (Joint Committee) (1 May 2008 to 22 Jul 2008)
- Chairman, Standards and Privileges Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 15 Oct 2009)
- Member, Selection Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 27 Oct 2009)
- Member, Liaison Committee (1 Nov 2005 to 27 Oct 2009)
- Member, Standards and Privileges Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 1 Nov 2005)
- Chairman, Standards and Privileges Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Selection Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Liaison Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (5 Nov 2001 to 14 Oct 2009)
- Member, Standards and Privileges (16 Jul 2001 to 14 Oct 2009)
- Member, Committee of Selection (3 Jul 2001 to 26 Oct 2009)
- Shadow Secretary of State (15 Jun 1999 to 26 Sep 2000)
- Member, Modernisation of the House of Commons (5 Jun 1998 to 25 Oct 2000)
- Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (2 Jun 1998 to 26 Sep 2000)
- Shadow Secretary of State for Defence (11 Jun 1997 to 2 Jun 1998)
- Secretary of State for Transport (5 Jul 1995 to 4 May 1997)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (18 Oct 1994 to 17 Oct 1995)
- The Financial Secretary to the Treasury (20 Jul 1994 to 5 Jul 1995)
- Minister (Department of Environment) (Housing) (28 Nov 1990 to 19 Jul 1994)
- Member, House of Commons (Services): Accomodation & Administration Sub-Committee (30 Oct 1990 to 22 Oct 1991)
- Member, House of Commons (Services): New Building Sub-Committee (30 Oct 1990 to 18 Dec 1990)
- Member, House of Commons (Services) (19 Oct 1990 to 18 Dec 1990)
- Comptroller (HM Household) (Deputy Chief Whip, House of Commons) (23 Jul 1990 to 28 Nov 1990)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Environment) (15 Sep 1981 to 10 Sep 1986)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department of Health and Social Security) (7 May 1979 to 15 Sep 1981)
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 35 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 1 written question in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 88.83% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 34 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 76 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on George Young’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 2239 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 23 Feb 2015.
5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK
I was given honorary membership of the Carlton Club
for the tenure of my position as Government Chief Whip
; until July 2014. (Registered 31 December 2012; updated 19 September 2014)
Name of donor: Mr Neal O’Kelly
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £9,000 in sponsoring my golden wedding party on 19 July 2014, for which tickets were sold by the North West Hampshire Conservative Association.
Date of receipt of donation: 13 July 2014
Date of acceptance of donation: 19 July 2014
Donor status: individual
(Registered 4 August 2014)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from