This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on John Whittingdale’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Maldon
- Also represented Maldon and East Chelmsford; Colchester South and Maldon
- Entered Parliament on 9 April 1992 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by John Whittingdale
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How John Whittingdale voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted very strongly against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted moderately against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted strongly against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Has never voted on a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted very strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted strongly against more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted strongly against the hunting ban. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Sometimes rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Trade and Industry, Culture Media and Sport, Environment Food and Rural Affairs, Treasury, Health
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): BBC, LNM Holdings, Unlicensed Broadcasting, Icelandic Trawlermen (Compensation), Copyright
(based on written questions asked by John Whittingdale and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Live Music Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Holocaust (Stolen Art) Restitution Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Freedom of Information (Amendment) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Gambling Bill Committee (6 out of 6)
- Communications Bill Committee (25 out of 25)
- Upcoming Business – Commons: Westminster Hall (10 Dec 2013)
“UK relations with Ukraine – John Whittingdale.”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Foreign and Commonwealth Office: EU and Ukraine (3 Dec 2013)
“Does my right hon. Friend agree that the first priority must be to put pressure on the Ukrainian Government to stop the shocking violence that has been committed over the last few days against the peaceful protesters currently in Independence square? Does he, however, take some encouragement from the stated commitment of the Government of Ukraine that they still wish to achieve, in due...”
- Point of Order (11 Nov 2013)
“On a point of order, Mr Speaker.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 22 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 8 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 76.97% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 95 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on John Whittingdale’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 408 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£17,828 (364th)||£23,083 (joint 1st with 142 others)||£22,020 (256th)||£16,843||£19,377 (341st)||£17,478 (395th)||£19,722 (joint 1st with 230 others)||£16,187 (147th)|
|Office running costs||£8,817 (604th)||£9,255 (602nd)||£16,028 (541st)||£13,898||£14,340 (513th)||£18,639 (374th)||£17,814 (joint 409th with 1 other)||£17,128 (262nd)|
|Staffing costs||£85,711 (511th)||£70,071 (610th)||£68,732 (598th)||£66,437||£61,819 (592nd)||£61,228 (578th)||£53,595 (597th)||£27,574 (638th)|
|Communications Allowance||£10,512 (152nd)||£5,541 (436th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£4,592 (465th)1||£7,131 (343rd)2||£9,433 (247th)||£8,776||£11,967 (272nd)||£12,885 (216th)||£13,682 (181st)||£10,097 (212th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£0||£94||£0||£88 (432nd)||£0||£0|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£124 (297th)||£640 (joint 180th with 2 others)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£28 (joint 105th with 1 other)||£72 (94th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£1,729 (joint 549th with 2 others)||£482 (joint 501st with 1 other)||£258 (618th)||£684||£423 (548th)||£461 (535th)||£814 (joint 428th with 1 other)||£501 (557th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,590 (447th)||£0||£1,822||£778 (602nd)||£727 (605th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,251 (joint 262nd with 1 other)||£1,270 (56th)||£0||£1,974 (joint 118th with 5 others)||£1,974 (joint 111th with 5 others)||£1,974 (joint 110th with 5 others)||£1,974 (joint 105th with 5 others)|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£9,016 (3rd)|
|Total||£129,341 (547th)||£119,116 (606th)||£117,741 (572nd)||£108,554||£110,678 (539th)||£113,480 (joint 455th with 1 other)||£107,601 (453rd)||£82,477 (453rd)|