This has been a momentous day for Parliament, and none of us thought that the day would turn out quite as it did with the votes earlier. Regarding the part of that debate that centred on your role, Mr Speaker, one of the highlights for me over the past 28 years was being invited by you to help drag you to the Chair when you took up the post of Speaker. For someone like me, from...
Further to that point of order, Mr Speaker. Can you make sure that the general public out there, who will look on in disbelief, have some understanding of the absolutely ridiculous way in which Parliament has now been forced to act?
If he will make it his policy to promote origin marking on ceramic products.
More of Joan Walley's recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Stoke-on-Trent North
Entered House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Left Parliament on 30 March 2015 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Work and Pensions
- Trade and Industry
- Departmental Relocation
- Refurbishment Projects
- Departmental Contracts
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Members' Expenses Committee (18 Jul 2011 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, National Policy Statements Sub-Committee (21 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (19 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Chair, Environmental Audit Committee (10 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, West Midlands Regional Select Committee (3 Mar 2009 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Draft Marine Bill (Joint Committee) (8 May 2008 to 22 Jul 2008)
- Member, Panel of Chairs (6 Mar 2008 to 20 Oct 2010)
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (12 Nov 1997 to 10 Jun 2010)
- Member, Trade & Industry Committee (27 Nov 1995 to 22 Jun 1998)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Transport) (1 Jun 1990 to 1 Jun 1995)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Jun 1988 to 1 Jun 1990)
- Member, House of Commons (Services) Committee (17 Jun 1987 to 22 Oct 1991)
- Member, House of Commons (Services): Computer Sub-Committee (17 Jun 1987 to 22 Oct 1991)
- Member, House of Commons: Catering Sub-Committee (17 Jun 1987 to 22 Oct 1991)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 38 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 50 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 70.06% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 7 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 76 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 516 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Payments from ComRes, Four Millbank, London SW1P 3JA, for participating in opinion research panel:
£75 received on 29 April 2014. Hours 40mins. (Registered 9 May 2014)
£75 received on 6 June 2014. Hours 40mins. (Registered 12 June 2014)
£75 received on 1 August 2014. Hours: 40 mins. (Registered 8 August 2014)
£75 received on 8 October 2014. Hours: 40 mins. (Registered 23 October 2014)
£75 received on 19 February 2015. Hours: 40mins. (Registered 27 February 2015)
Payment from Populus Ltd, 10 Northborough Street, London EC1V 0AT, for participating in opinion research panel:
£75 received on 21 July 2014. Hours: 40 mins. (Registered 8 August 2014)
Payments from Ipsos MORI, 79-81 Borough Road, London, SE1 1FY, for participating in survey interviews:
£200 received on 27 January 2015. Hours: 90 mins. (Registered 2 February 2015)
A researcher in my office provides part-time support to the All-Party Parliamentary Lighting Group of which I am Joint Chair, for which he is paid by the Lighting Industry Federation. (Updated 13 January 2012)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from