How Keith Vaz voted since 2001
Randomly generated selection of topics. See full list.
Voted moderately for a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Source
Voted moderately against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Source
Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs Source
Voted very strongly against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Source
Voted moderately for more EU integration Source
Voted strongly against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Source
Get email notifications when Keith Vaz speaks in parliament.
See our much more detailed, easier-to-read analysis of votes on health, welfare, foreign policy, social issues, taxation and more.
Keith Vaz occasionally rebelled against their party in this parliament
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what recent discussions his Department has had with Sainsbury's as part of the Responsibility Deal.
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what recent discussions his Department has had with Aldi as part of the Responsibility Deal.
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what recent discussions his Department has had with Tesco as part of the Responsibility Deal.
More of Keith Vaz's recent appearances
Labour MP for Leicester East
Entered House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Constitutional Affairs
- Trade and Industry
- Public Bodies
- Public Appointments
Currently held offices
- Member, Administration Committee
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (2 Feb 2010 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (14 Jan 2010 to 19 Jan 2010)
- Member, Liaison Committee (8 Sep 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- Chairman, Home Affairs Committee (8 Aug 2007 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Constitutional Affairs Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 7 Nov 2007)
- Member, Constitutional Affairs Committee (to 11 Apr 2005)
- Minister of State (Europe), Foreign & Commonwealth Office (11 Oct 1999 to 11 Jun 2001)
- Parliamentary Secretary, Lord Chancellor's Department (17 May 1999 to 11 Oct 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 123 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 164 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 51.05% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 68 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 101 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Keith Vaz’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1310 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 6 Jan 2015.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
29 September 2014, £400 received from the Sunday Express, The Northern & Shell Building
, 10 Lower Thames Street, London EC3R 6EN, for an article published on 24 August 2014. Hours: 4 hrs. (Registered 24 November 2014)
8. Land and Property
I own a property at 144 Uppingham Road, Leicester, which is used as my constituency
Flat in London, from which rental income is received.
I own a house in Leicester which is part rented.
I own a season ticket for Leicester City Football Club
. However, I am invited from time to time into the directors’ box to watch matches. The annual value of this benefit is below registrable value. (Updated 1 December 2014)
Barrister (not practising).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from