A selection of Keith Vaz's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted moderately against reducing central government funding of local government Details
Voted moderately against greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Details
Voted strongly against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Details
Voted moderately against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Details
Voted strongly for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Details
Voted moderately against encouraging occupational pensions Details
New: more analysis of votes on health, welfare, foreign policy, social issues, taxation and more.
Keith Vaz occasionally rebelled against their party in this parliament
Former Labour MP for Leicester East
Entered House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Left Parliament on 30 March 2015 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Home Department
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Constitutional Affairs
- Trade and Industry
- Public Bodies
- Public Appointments
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Administration Committee (29 Oct 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (30 Nov 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, National Security Strategy (Joint Committee) (13 Jan 2010 to 6 May 2010)
- Chair, Home Affairs Committee (26 Jul 2007 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (26 Jul 2007 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (25 Jul 2007 to 26 Jul 2007)
- Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee (1 Jul 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Constitutional Affairs Committee (28 Jan 2003 to 8 Nov 2007)
- Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (11 Oct 1999 to 7 Jun 2001)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Lord Chancellor's Department) (17 May 1999 to 28 Jul 1999)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) (1 Jun 1992 to 1 Jun 1997)
- Member, Home Affairs Committee (17 Jun 1987 to 26 Oct 1992)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 109 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 152 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 50.28% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 68 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 98 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1328 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
29 September 2014, £400 received from the Sunday Express, The Northern & Shell Building, 10 Lower Thames Street, London EC3R 6EN, for an article published on 24 August 2014. Hours: 4 hrs. (Registered 24 November 2014)
(a) Donations to my constituency
party or association, which have been or will be reported by my party to the Electoral Commission:
(a) Name of donor: London College of Accountancy Ltd
(a) Address of donor: 19 Charterhouse Street, London EC1N 6RA
(a) Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £10,000
(a) Donor status: company, registration 03914791
(a) (Registered 6 March 2015)
8. Land and Property
I own a property at 144 Uppingham Road, Leicester, which is used as my constituency office.
Flat in London, from which rental income is received.
I own a house in Leicester which is part rented.
I own a season ticket for Leicester City Football Club. However, I am invited from time to time into the directors’ box to watch matches. The annual value of this benefit is below registrable value. (Updated 1 December 2014)
Barrister (not practising).
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from