Does Gareth Thomas respond to constituents’ emails?
According to our 2015 survey, Gareth Thomas responded to a
low proportion of messages
sent by constituents on WriteToThem.com.
See the results in context
Gareth Thomas’s voting in Parliament
Gareth Thomas is a Labour/Co-operative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour/Co-operative MPs.
However, Gareth Thomas sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Gareth Thomas generally voted for university tuition fees, while most Labour/Co-operative MPs generally voted against.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Gareth Thomas’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Gareth Thomas’s full vote analysis page for more.
Gareth Thomas has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many employers received (a) one, (b) between two and four and (c) more than five fixed penalty fines for illegally employing immigrants in each of the last seven years.
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, whether she has taken steps to make advance passenger information available to Border Force general maritime officers; and if she will make a statement.
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, whether she plans to introduce compulsory advanced notification for (a) commercial and (b) pleasure craft of arrival in the UK; and if she will make a statement.
More of Gareth Thomas’s recent appearances
Labour/Co-operative MP for Harrow West
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Party was Labour until 30 Mar 2015
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Innovation and Skills
- Cabinet Office
- Home Department
- Third Sector
- EU Law
- Departmental Responsibilities
Other offices held in the past
- Shadow Minister (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs) (7 Oct 2013 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Minister (Cabinet Office) (7 Oct 2011 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Shadow Minister (Business, Innovation and Skills) (8 Oct 2010 to 7 Oct 2011)
- Shadow Minister (International Development) (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- Minister of State (Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform) (Trade, Investment and Consumer Affairs) (also Department for International Development) (5 Oct 2008 to 5 Jun 2009)
- The Minister of State, Department for International Development (5 Oct 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform) (Trade and Consumer Affairs) (also Department for International Development) (2 Jul 2007 to 5 Oct 2008)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary(Department for International Development) (Trade Policy) (also Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform) (2 Jul 2007 to 5 Oct 2008)
- The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for International Development (13 Jun 2003 to 28 Jun 2007)
- Party Chair, Co-operative Party (1 Jul 2000 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Environmental Audit Committee (12 Nov 1997 to 25 Nov 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 28 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs. See all Gareth Thomas’s speeches
- Has received answers to 173 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 59.31% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 130 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Gareth Thomas’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 734 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 6 Jun 2016.
2. (a) Support linked to an MP
but received by a local party organisation or indirectly via a central party organisation
Name of donor: USDAW
Address of donor: 188 Wilslow Road, Fallowfield, Manchester M14 6LJ
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £2,500
Donor status: trade union
(Registered 07 June 2015
Name of donor: Harrow Labour Group
Address of donor: Civic Centre, Harrow HA1 2DT
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £2,200
Donor status: unincorporated association
(Registered 07 June 2015)
2. (b) Any other support not included in Category 2
Name of donor: Manoj Ladwa
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £2,500 in support of my campaign to be selected as Labour’s candidate for London Mayor
Date received: 18 May 2015
Date accepted: 18 May 2015
Donor status: individual
(Registered 07 September 2015
Name of donor: Kevin McGrath
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £2,000 in support of my campaign to be selected as Labour’s candidate for London Mayor
Date received: 13 July 2015
Date accepted: 13 July 2015
Donor status: individual
(Registered 07 September 2015)
Name of donor: Rational Group Ltd
Address of donor: Level 32, One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E15 5AB
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £4,000 in support of my campaign to be selected as Labour’s candidate for London Mayor
Date received: 13 May 2015
Date accepted: 13 May 2015
Donor status: company, registration 05955836
(Registered 08 September 2015)
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
House in Harrow: (i) and (ii). (Registered 27 June 2014
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from