Desmond Swayne campaigned to leave the European Union
Let your MP know how you feel - email them now.
Desmond Swayne’s voting in Parliament
Desmond Swayne is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs.
This is a selection of Desmond Swayne’s votes.
Almost always voted for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
Consistently voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits Show votes
Generally voted for encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
Consistently voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
Consistently voted for greater restrictions on campaigning by third parties, such as charities, during elections Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Desmond Swayne’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Desmond Swayne’s full vote analysis page for more.
Desmond Swayne has never rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
We support projects that bring Palestinians and Israelis together, to which end we have made provision for funding through our conflict, security and stability fund to support co-existence projects, but I am keen to identify what more we can do.
I agree with my hon. Friend about Jo Cox. The reason why we think it is a good idea to support the Palestinian Authority is that they deliver essential public services, not least healthcare and the education of 770,000 pupils. I believe that it is in our national interest to build up Palestinian institutions so that in a future Palestinian state, they can be reliable and effective partners...
Yes, and I am concerned about any potential closing of space for non-governmental organisations.
More of Desmond Swayne’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for New Forest West
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Territorial Army
- New Forest
- Reserve Forces
Currently held offices
- The Minister of State, Department for International Development (since 15 Jul 2014)
Other offices held in the past
- The Vice-Chamberlain of Her Majesty's Household (7 Oct 2013 to 15 Jul 2014)
- Member, Administration Committee (22 Oct 2012 to 28 Oct 2013)
- The Lord Commissioner of Her Majesty's Treasury (6 Sep 2012 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Parliamentary Private Secretary To the Leader of the Opposition (16 Dec 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Ecclesiastical Committee (Joint Committee) (19 Jul 2005 to 5 May 2005)
- Member, Defence Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 6 Feb 2006)
- Parliamentary Private Secretaries To Leader of the Opposition (9 Sep 2004 to 6 Dec 2005)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jun 2002 to 1 Jun 2003)
- Member, Procedure Committee (4 Mar 2002 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Defence) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2002)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Health) (1 Feb 2001 to 1 Jun 2001)
- Member, Social Security Committee (26 Jul 1999 to 11 May 2001)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (14 Jul 1997 to 11 May 2001)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 14 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Desmond Swayne’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 90.94% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 95 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Desmond Swayne’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 515 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 27 Jun 2016.
1. Employment and earnings
Major, Territorial Army. Address: Army Pay Office, Brown Street, Glasgow:
31 July 2015
, received £334 (£178 net) for undertaking military training on 11 & 12 July 2015. Hours: 2 days. (Registered 19 August 2015
1 October 2015
, received £292.22 for undertaking military training on 12 & 13 September 2015
. Hours: 2 days. (Registered 02 October 2015)
14 January 2016
, received £200 from Ipsos MORI
, 3 Thomas More Square, London E1W 1YW, for completing Winter 2015 Survey. Hours: 1 hr. Fee paid direct to charity. (Registered 22 January 2016)
6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year
Flat in London, jointly owned with my wife: (i) and (ii). (Updated 20 May 2015
House in London, jointly owned with my wife: (i) and (ii). (Updated 20 May 2015)
9. Family members employed and paid from parliamentary expenses
I employ my wife, Moira Swayne, as Secretary. (Updated 20 May 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from