DFID recognises the value of early childhood investments and supports a range of early years’ research and investments, including integrated investments in nutrition, child health, water, sanitation, hygiene and education. Assessment of the impact of these programmes on the strength of health systems are made on a case by case basis at country level. Decisions on country and...
The UK has spent £39 million since 2002 supporting the reform on Nigeria’s power system. Of this around £7 million has been spent directly on support to privatisation and around £14 million on market and regulatory reform. Support has been provided through two phases of the Nigeria Infrastructure Advisory Facility (NIAF) programme. The first phase ran from 2007 to...
The Department for International Development (DFID) works with partner countries to develop, and finance, long-term education sector plans that will deliver good quality education for all children. We also invest in research to inform our education strategy. DFID is, additionally, a significant donor to the Global Partnership for Education, which works to optimise multiple funding flows to...
More of Desmond Swayne’s recent appearances
Conservative MP for New Forest West
Entered House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Territorial Army
- New Forest
- Reserve Forces
Currently held offices
- The Minister of State, Department for International Development (since 15 Jul 2014)
Other offices held in the past
- The Vice-Chamberlain of Her Majesty's Household (7 Oct 2013 to 15 Jul 2014)
- Member, Administration Committee (22 Oct 2012 to 28 Oct 2013)
- The Lord Commissioner of Her Majesty's Treasury (6 Sep 2012 to 7 Oct 2013)
- Parliamentary Private Secretary To the Leader of the Opposition (16 Dec 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Ecclesiastical Committee (Joint Committee) (19 Jul 2005 to 5 May 2005)
- Member, Defence Committee (12 Jul 2005 to 6 Feb 2006)
- Parliamentary Private Secretaries To Leader of the Opposition (9 Sep 2004 to 6 Dec 2005)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (1 Jun 2002 to 1 Jun 2003)
- Member, Procedure Committee (4 Mar 2002 to 12 Jul 2005)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Defence) (1 Jun 2001 to 1 Jun 2002)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Health) (1 Feb 2001 to 1 Jun 2001)
- Member, Social Security Committee (26 Jul 1999 to 11 May 2001)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (14 Jul 1997 to 11 May 2001)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 18 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 102 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Desmond Swayne’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 496 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Major, Territorial Army. Address: Army Pay Office, Brown Street, Glasgow.
1 August 2014, received £176.68 for undertaking military training in September 2014. Hours: 2 days. (Registered 2 January 2015
1 October 2014, received £131.68 for undertaking military training in September 2014. Hours: 2 days. (Registered 2 January 2015)
8. Land and Property
Two residential leasehold flats in West London, for which rent is received.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from