Dennis Skinner’s voting in Parliament
Dennis Skinner is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Dennis Skinner sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Dennis Skinner generally voted against introducing foundation hospitals, while most Labour MPs generally voted for.
Dennis Skinner generally voted against requiring the mass retention of information about communications, while most Labour MPs generally voted for.
Dennis Skinner almost always voted against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system, while most Labour MPs generally voted for.
Dennis Skinner generally voted against the Iraq war, while most Labour MPs generally voted for.
Dennis Skinner generally voted for a transparent Parliament, while most Labour MPs generally voted against.
We have lots more plain English analysis of Dennis Skinner’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Dennis Skinner’s full vote analysis page for more.
Dennis Skinner has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Now that the Government, according to the barmy idea that is being propagated this morning by the right wing of the Tory party, are seemingly prepared to give way on different subjects, can I ask the Minister: what is the price for dropping this lousy, rotten Trade Union Bill altogether? I will try to get it.
More of Dennis Skinner’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Bolsover
Entered the House of Commons on 18 June 1970 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Work and Pensions
- Culture Media and Sport
- Home Department
- Deputy Prime Minister
- Council Housing Stock
- Miners' Compensation
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee (1 Jul 1999 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee (1 Jul 1994 to 1 Jul 1998)
- Party Chair, Labour Party (1 Jul 1988 to 1 Jul 1989)
- Vice-Chair, Labour Party (1 Jul 1987 to 1 Jul 1988)
- Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee (1 Jul 1979 to 1 Jul 1992)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 61 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs. See all Dennis Skinner’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 87.94% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 114 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 342 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Dennis Skinner’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 2737 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from