A selection of Dennis Skinner's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Voted very strongly against reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the "bedroom tax") Details
Voted strongly against replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Details
Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration Details
Voted very strongly for paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability Details
Voted very strongly for raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices Details
Voted moderately for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Details
New: more analysis of votes on health, welfare, foreign policy, social issues, taxation and more.
Dennis Skinner sometimes rebelled against their party in this parliament
For a man who seemingly is never away from Europe, why is it that he has never taken the opportunity, when he has been there, to put in a claim for state aid to save British miners’ jobs? He is the man who, during the election campaign, masqueraded as the workers’ champion but he has not got the guts to help those miners. He took £700 million out of the mineworkers’...
I have listened carefully for the past half an hour to find out exactly what the Tory Government are trying to do about places in the east midlands such as Bolsover, which is very close to Lincolnshire, because when the Labour Government were in power, both myself and Gordon Brown, the then Chancellor of the Exchequer, were the northern powerhouse. I asked him for 40 million quid to flatten...
More of Dennis Skinner’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Bolsover
Entered the House of Commons on 18 June 1970 — General election
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Work and Pensions
- Culture Media and Sport
- Home Department
- Deputy Prime Minister
- Council Housing Stock
- Miners' Compensation
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee (1 Jul 1999 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee (1 Jul 1994 to 1 Jul 1998)
- Party Chair, Labour Party (1 Jul 1988 to 1 Jul 1989)
- Vice-Chair, Labour Party (1 Jul 1987 to 1 Jul 1988)
- Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee (1 Jul 1979 to 1 Jul 1992)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 41 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 86.21% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 113 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 334 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Dennis Skinner’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 2727 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from