This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Richard Shepherd’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Aldridge-Brownhills
- Entered Parliament on 3 May 1979 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Richard Shepherd
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Richard Shepherd voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted a mixture of for and against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
- Voted strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted strongly against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted strongly against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against more EU integration. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted very strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted very strongly for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly for a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Quite often rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Select Committee membership
- Member, Human Rights (Joint Committee) (since 26 Jul 2010)
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Justice, Home Department, Electoral Commission Committee, Work and Pensions, Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): North Sea Camp Prison, Pensions, Sexual Health, Departmental NDPBs, Multi-Agency Public Protection
(based on written questions asked by Richard Shepherd and answered by departments)
- Syria and the Use of Chemical Weapons (29 Aug 2013)
“I want to explain why I cannot support the motion. The House is predicated on procedure and rules—we seek fairness in things—but the very first sentence of the motion states that the House: “Deplores the use of chemical weapons in Syria on 21 August 2013 by the Assad regime, which caused hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries of Syrian civilians”. We have gone...”
- Written Answers — Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs: EU Budget (17 Jul 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs in which of the last 20 years the auditors of the EU have refused to approve the EU accounts; and what the reasons for such refusals were in each case.”
- Written Answers — Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs: European Council (16 Jul 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what subject areas are now decided by majority voting within the European Council; and to what subject areas a veto can be applied within the European Council.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 6 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 6 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 54.05% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 4 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 108 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Richard Shepherd’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 574 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 25 Nov 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£6,665 (555th)||£15,402 (488th)||£17,529 (456th)||£6,968||£7,284 (590th)||£8,577 (583rd)||£10,895 (583rd)||£9,950 (565th)|
|Office running costs||£13,484 (487th)||£10,569 (578th)||£20,224 (341st)||£15,106||£17,570 (joint 379th with 1 other)||£10,907 (626th)||£11,905 (603rd)||£10,139 (520th)|
|Staffing costs||£66,249 (621st)||£73,053 (597th)||£60,830 (632nd)||£67,373||£63,973 (564th)||£57,445 (619th)||£57,691 (566th)||£54,478 (82nd)|
|Communications Allowance||£0||£7,328 (367th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£5,637 (406th)1||£5,794 (413th)2||£5,611 (427th)||£5,606||£9,388 (356th)||£10,688 (299th)||£5,438 (506th)||£7,919 (joint 323rd with 1 other)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£252 (261st)||£113 (368th)||£113 (371st)||£338||£325 (321st)||£365 (304th)||£573 (237th)||£409 (272nd)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£909 (618th)||£284 (588th)||£138 (636th)||£720||£457 (joint 531st with 2 others)||£251 (613th)||£873 (joint 392nd with 1 other)||£758 (424th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£430 (joint 623rd with 1 other)||£65 (636th)||£2,888||£1,325 (526th)||£424 (630th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£685 (joint 633rd with 1 other)||£783 (605th)||£0||£1,513 (572nd)||£1,513 (joint 555th with 1 other)||£1,513 (534th)||£1,513 (459th)|
|Total||£93,196 (637th)||£113,658 (616th)||£105,293 (617th)||£98,999||£101,835 (606th)||£90,170 (630th)||£88,888 (616th)||£85,166 (400th)|